Not enough carbs?

Options
I am eating 1570 calories a day with a macro split of 50% carbs (197g), 30% fats (52g), 20% protein (79g).

I have almost never been able to hit my protein goal accurately/prioritized it too much but I’m the last week I have been reaching it spot on, sometimes even slightly over yet under in carbs. I have been extremely fatigued and find myself needing to nap during the day, despite less physically strenuous training.
I have been well hydrated and eating enough calories and take a daily immune booster + multivitamin.

Could I be eating too little carbs still ?
Has anybody else experienced this ?

Replies

• zeejane4
    zeejane4 Posts: 230 Member
    edited May 2019
    Options
    I eat usually eat under 100g of carbs and I don't have problems with fatigue, your protein does seem a bit low though?

Have you reduced your caffeine intake by chance?
  • Buff_Man
    Buff_Man Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    Try eating at maintenance for a couple of weeks see how you feel. Lack of carbs alone won't account for fatigue but a large calorie deficit will. You also want to eliminate anaemia as a cause of your fatigue so if it doesn't improve see a doctor.
  • jordan_bowden
    jordan_bowden Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    VioletRojo wrote: »
    RAinWA wrote: »
    Looking at your diary, you are a couple of hundred calories or more under your goal every day. You need to eat up to your calorie goal. My guess is you are under eating which could cause you to feel fatigued.

This. It looks like you're not eating enough. Try eating at least your allotted calories, plus your exercise calories. Also, what are your stats and how much weight are you trying to lose?

I really struggle to fit all that food in, I make my meals as calorie dense as possible but it’s really a lot of food.

I’m 160cm (5’3) and 57kg (125lbs).
    I am fairly sedentary during the day but I weight train 5 days a week, and go for brisk walks 2-3 times a week.

I am not very weight focused, at the moment my goal is just to gain muscle and lose fat.
  • jordan_bowden
    Options
    As well as not eating up to your calorie goal and being low on protein, are you eating back your exercise calories?

MFP is set up with your deficit in your NEAT, if you exercise you are expected to eat those cals back.
    Lethargy is a sure sign of underfuelling.

The more you move; the more you get to eat.

Cheers, h.

Thank you so much, I didn’t realize I was meant to eat exercise calories back too. I always thought that whatever I had burned was my caloric deficit, over and above my TDEE
  • jordan_bowden
    Options
    zeejane4 wrote: »
    I eat usually eat under 100g of carbs and I don't have problems with fatigue, your protein does seem a bit low though?

I have reduced my caffeine, for the last two/three weeks I have limited myself to only one cup of coffee a day. I wasn’t dependent before, I just found I had less desire to eat because it curbed my appetite and I also noticed I was feeling a lot more dehydrated.

So instead I have been drinking water.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    A few extra carbs before and after workouts can help keep your blood glucose from dipping and bring it up if it’s low. Since you haven’t been eating back your exercise calories, try adding a small carby snack before working out - I like oranges myself - and a small protein plus carbs snack after. Supposedly one study found chocolate milk to be an ideal recovery snack. I usually have Greek yogurt with berries. If you have trouble getting your food in, drinking some of your calories such as a smoothie can help. Try it, see if it works for you.
  • zeejane4
    zeejane4 Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    zeejane4 wrote: »

I have reduced my caffeine, for the last two/three weeks I have limited myself to only one cup of coffee a day. I wasn’t dependent before, I just found I had less desire to eat because it curbed my appetite and I also noticed I was feeling a lot more dehydrated.

So instead I have been drinking water.

That can explain the fatigue, as well as any headaches you may be experiencing. There's a withdrawal period as you reduce/eliminate caffeine and it takes a few days to get it calmed down (I've heard up to a month).