Any Advice on Keto Flu from those who have had it?

Today is my third full day on the Atkins 20, and prior to this evening the only side effect I have had was lacking sleep and an occasional headache. Tonight I am feeling nauseous as ever, and I dread it is the above mentioned keto flu. I will preface this by saying I am close to 400 pounds and have stayed under 12 g of carbohydrates all three days to this point. I am drinking water like it is going out of style, in fact no less than 10 cups per day. Any advice here as this is the one symptom I did not want to have, the nausea and/or vomiting.

Replies

• jean133mjg
    jean133mjg Posts: 133 Member
    Perhaps it is a 24-hour bug that you may have come down with. I know it's not any help, but just a thought. Hope you start feeling better.
  • kmfeig87
    kmfeig87 Posts: 1,990 Member
    Mix 1/4 tsp salt/pink salt and 1/4 tsp cream of tartar into 12 oz of water. Sip it slowly over an hour. Cream of tartar has potassium, salt has sodium. This might balance your electrolytes. See if that helps the nausea. You can add a bit more salt if you need it. Check with a doctor before having more than 1 dose of 1/4 tsp cream of tartar per day as too much potassium can also be an issue!

• NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Just in case it is not the KF. Are you feeling shaky at all? Do you have any idea how many calories you have consumed? Any cramping? Loose stool?
  • TheOldBallCoach43420
    TheOldBallCoach43420 Posts: 119 Member
    Sunday:
    2,615 calories ... 7,070mg sodium

Monday:
    2,748 calories... 7,042mg sodium

Today:
    1,485 calories... 3,632mg sodium
    The only reason this number is lower is because I did not feel well this evening so I did not eat her dinner tonight.

I do feel we need a few more carbs as I have only had 12 Sunday, 16 Monday, and 10 today.

Somebody asked above if I drink a sports drink, we can’t! That wound be through the roof!!! A Gatorade has 34g carbs, we are doing 20 per day!

• TheOldBallCoach43420
    TheOldBallCoach43420 Posts: 119 Member
    Also, I have had some looser than normal stools. Nothing “solid” (for lack of better word) in the 3 days.

I should also clarify, I am NOT vomiting, just felt nauseous earlier. A tad better after a bit cup of hot water with bouillon cube.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    It is probably just the KF then. I am fairly certain when the sport drink was mentioned they meant to drink the diet version with the artificial sweetener.

A few more carbs probably won't help the symptoms you are experiencing. You need electrolytes.

This is one of the reasons I suggest that people taper off their carbs instead of going cold turkey but what is done is done now. Feel better.
  • Blythmag
    Blythmag Posts: 252 Member
    I've done keto for 10 weeks now. It's a known side effect.it passes after a couple of days. Your body is adjusting.get through it and you will be fine, there's no "cure" some get it some don't.. I didn't.plenty of electrolytes and you will be ok.
  • Megan_smartiepants1970
    Megan_smartiepants1970 Posts: 38,915 Member
    Us Keto'ers drink keto-ade which is water, 1 tsp of lite salt and mio....you can drink pickle juice....bone broth...FYI when having keto flu you aren't nausea.....wishing you the very best...hope you feel better soon
  • Danp
    Danp Posts: 1,561 Member
    That sounds awful. Are you sure low carb is a suitable approach for you to create a calorie deficit?

If you don't feel better in a day or two it might be time to look for a new tactic.
  • zeejane4
    zeejane4 Posts: 230 Member
    edited May 2019
    Us Keto'ers drink keto-ade which is water, 1 tsp of lite salt and mio....you can drink pickle juice....bone broth...FYI when having keto flu you aren't nausea.....wishing you the very best...hope you feel better soon

Nausea actually can be a part of the keto flu
    https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/keto/flu-side-effects#ketoflu
  • peggy_polenta
    peggy_polenta Posts: 310 Member
    stick it out. it won't take long to become adapted. depending on your stores...its around 5 days for most people. just don't introduce carbs or you will continue to go in and out of it. vomiting is not one of the symptoms. keto by nature flushes tons of salt out of you system and you should be adding salt to everything. if you are feeling shaky or really terrible, have a few sips of pickle juice, eat some olives or drink some bone broth. it doesn't last and once you are out of it, you will feel amazing.
  • zeejane4
    zeejane4 Posts: 230 Member
    2baninja wrote: »
    I'm just really curious as to why anyone would purposely put themselves on a diet that is going to make themselves feel this sick.
    You're suppose to feel better as you lose weight, not feel so crappy.

Just my opinion of course.

Well to be fair it's a short term, preventable issue. And really, anyone starting a weight loss phase may run into issues initially, no matter what plan they're following. Lack of planning/knowledge is a big hurdle many new dieters face.
  • ruqayyahsmum
    ruqayyahsmum Posts: 1,514 Member
    2baninja wrote: »
    I'm just really curious as to why anyone would purposely put themselves on a diet that is going to make themselves feel this sick.
    You're suppose to feel better as you lose weight, not feel so crappy.

Just my opinion of course.

Not everyone gets side effects and plenty of people feel a little different when they begin a deficit

I did it knowing I might run into short term side effects as I couldn't take the hypoglycemic attacks any more (not self diagnosed, even a moderate carb meal was leaving me with blood sugars in the 1's an hour later while in hospital)
    Oddly for me staying keto levels my blood sugars out

I don't agree with the poster saying drink 8 litres and drop 2kg a week is fine. It's really not

I drink about 3 litres a day, maybe a tad more if it's hot out and I aim for 0.5- 1kg a week as I'm over 200lb currently
    There are no prizes for getting to the weight loss finish line first but sickly
  • ruqayyahsmum
    ruqayyahsmum Posts: 1,514 Member
    OP are you looking at 20 carb total or net carb?
    Most go with net carb (carbs minus fibre) at the 20g so yes your likely a little low on the carbs
    If in doubt though check with your doctor