Is it possible to do this without weighing myself?

I've had issues with disordered eating in the past, mostly stemming from that number on the scale. Right now I know I weigh too much, based on the fit of my clothing and looking in the mirror. But I'm worried that stepping on the scale will make this about that one number and not eating healthier and exercising a little more.

For the first weight number I just picked one that was about 10 kg over my ideal weight. Should I step on the scale? Can I use other metrics?

Replies

• otheliemoor36
    otheliemoor36 Posts: 5 Member
    @tinkerbellang83 My biggest "worry" is how MFP calculates how many calories I'm supposed to be eating. I guess the easiest solution there is to start eating less when I see that I'm not losing weight anymore.

And since i just found out you can manually set your calorie goals that shouldn't be that much of a problem.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    do yo uhave a family member who could weight you (but not tell you) as a data point
  • otheliemoor36
    @SideSteel Pretty much this. In the past the number on the scale became an obsession, and to a lesser degree measuring does the same. I know I need to lose weight, but I'd prefere not the trigger negative behaviours.

I've got some PM advice, and will most likely go for setting calorie goal and just adjusting it myself depending on weight loss/gain.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,130 Member
    @tinkerbellang83 My biggest "worry" is how MFP calculates how many calories I'm supposed to be eating. I guess the easiest solution there is to start eating less when I see that I'm not losing weight anymore.

And since i just found out you can manually set your calorie goals that shouldn't be that much of a problem.

Unless there is a huge difference between the weight you have chosen (10kg above your ideal weight as you mentioned) and your actual weight, there shouldn't be too much difference in calories.

My current weight is around 107kg which gives me a TDEE at Sedentary of around 2208 calories per day at 97kg it would be 2088.

If I was set to lose 1lb per week (suitable for the approximate amount you have to lose) then 120 calories a day is going to make very little difference to my weight loss in the long term. Just means on average I'd lose 0.9lbs per week instead.
  • magnusthenerd
    magnusthenerd Posts: 1,207 Member
    Perhaps to start, just begin with some body measurements, and start with logging just what you're eating at the weight you are maintaining without trying to hit a calorie goal. Since logging will make you a bit more conscientiousness, you'll probably get a number a little below maintenance, but probably close enough that you could adjust down from there for a rough idea of a reasonable weekly loss.
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    You can certainly do this without weighing. But just make sure to be on guard that measuring can replace weighing as the same obsession if you are not careful. And progress in appearance/measurements can often take slower to register, especially since you can't choose where your body loses weight. So sometimes you can still be losing but not losing anything in the places you are measuring. So these are good things to start preparing for now so you don't let it trigger any other negative behavior.
  • otheliemoor36
    @MikePTY Oh yeah, not going to take all that many meassurements. I've got two garments that fit me well two years ago that I'm planning to use as the main meassurement, since that was the weight my medical team was happy with me in. Also planning blind weigh ins with a friend to keep an eye on things and tell me if I should slow down or go a bit down.
  • Dandylines
    Dandylines Posts: 18 Member
    I think it is good that you know yourself and what triggers your eating. I would recommend that if other measures such as fit of clothes and overall health are good you might want to skip the scale at first. Then when the clothes fit better get a verification from the scale and give your self a pat on the back.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,389 Member
    how much do you think you want to lose? if it's not too much then set your deficit to lose 0.5lbs per week. if it's a bit more chose 1lbs and eventually adjust downwards.
  • BurningSkies2018
    BurningSkies2018 Posts: 64 Member
    You could absolutely do it without weighing. Personally, seeing the progress in the numbers does a lot for me but if it becomes an unhealthy obsession it's good that you stay away from it. Personally, I don't feel like I see a difference when I look in the mirror, but the fit of my clothes, while minor, does feel more impactful. I say find what really works for you to gauge your progress.
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,257 Member
    Wow. I think you have a really healthy approach to this. I lost the first 22 pounds without weighing myself because i didn't own a scale. 4 years later, I bought a scale because I knew I had put some of the weight back on, and I wanted to hold myself accountable for it. It sounds like you have gotten some really insightful, knowledgeable advice to go on. Good luck! You can do this :)
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    I know its easy for me to say that your weight is just one tool in an entire tool box, but I also know its not that easy for some people.

I did not weigh myself at first and I wish I had because I can only guess at where I started and how much I've really lost. I *think* I started weighing after I lost 10 pounds, but I could have lost more weight than that.

Its taken me a long time to not let the number on the scale rule my thoughts--like years. But now I weigh every day, log it in my Happy Scale app and move on. I study my trends rather than my daily weight.

Do what keeps your mind healthy and good luck!
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,585 Member
    Was the issue limited to scale feedback, or was it, potentially a bit more?

I would proceed cautiously and would avoid applying a large deficit as doing so, by itself, can trigger.

In order to apply SOME; but not a very large, deficit, I would start recording what you're eating "normally". Usually just the act of recording will shave quite a few calories. So after recording for a week I would just stabilize at that average for another week or two or apply a small (-250) deficit on top.

And keep going while cautiously inducing a reduction.
  • HDBKLM
    HDBKLM Posts: 466 Member
    Although I haven't suffered from the disordered eating triggers you describe, for what it's worth, my n=1 is that I lost my first 55 pounds without a scale. In that sense my answer to your question is, "Yes it can be done without a scale." I faithfully logged my food and exercise, and took my measurements (neck, upper arms, bust, waist, hips, thigh) every Monday morning. I weighed myself maybe twice during the first 6 months, and thereafter maybe once a month, but this was only to get a ballpark sense of my progress. And when I say ballpark, I mean that since I didn't own a scale, I'd just go to shops like Bed Bath & Beyond that sold scales and weigh myself on like 3 display models, then take the average. I didn't care about what my weight was to the pound or to the gram, and because of the imprecision of my weighing style, I also would only post a loss here on MFP when I was comfortably 5 pounds lower than the previous weight update.

For all intents and purposes, though, I went the first year and a half on MFP doing this only by measurements.

I do weigh myself more regularly now, for the record, but that's mainly just because I joined a gym so simply have more regular access, and to the same scale rather than whichever floor models happened to be working somewhere. I'm also much closer to goal now, so a pound or two of loss or gain makes a bigger difference on my body than it used to.