Lost all motivation

Options
Hi all I’ve been struggling with my weight since I was a kid about 4 years ago I got down too a good weight and was happy but as time has gone on I’ve lost my motivation with healthy eating and the gym I know I’ve got it in me too get my self back on track just finding it hard I’ve put a lot off weight back on and I’m ashamed and angry just want too be back on track I’ve had enough off the excuses now I know it’s me who needs too do this and I’m determined too

Replies

• 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,464 Member
    Options
    Motivation is overrated. It’s too fleeting to sustain a weight loss or fitness plan.

And you have a better alternative right there in your post- determination. No, it’s not just a word game, look it up. Motivation will get a project started, but determination sees it through to completion.

It’s natural to be disappointed by our own actions sometimes but don’t get too down on yourself. It’s ok to struggle. It’s unavoidable. Remember the saying life has ups and downs? Well, it’s true.

It’s only one process. What have you learned from this that you can build on going forward? Knowledge is power. Keep going.
  • foxylufc
    foxylufc Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your reply I know what I’m doing wrong it’s just up too me too get back too my goals it helps been on here and getting help and support from others thanks again for your reply
  • Malonsky
    Malonsky Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Since 2010, I have lost and regained weight 4 times (290 to 225 (2010), to 258 to 201 (2012), to 280 to 228 (2015), to 270 to my current wight of 228. I agree that motivation is overrated, because I will get motivated, but that can't last forever. Something else (determination? goal?) has to kick in at some point to maintain. I am really praying that my journey this time will be my last. I am "determined" to run a Half Marathon this November. After that, I will find another activity that I will be "determined" to complete (Spartan?) I have a great support team, but I have found it better to have a great accountability team; those not afraid to tell me when I've had enough, or I'm not doing enough.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    It's not motivation. It is what is going to happen. Make it happen.

• tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,130 Member
    Options
    Are you perhaps making your maintenance plan unsustainable?

What do you consider healthy eating? Are you eating things you don't enjoy? If you've been avoiding a lot of foods because you think they are bad for you, then start incorporating them again you can have a bit of an all-or-nothing mentality about it and end up in a yo-yo pattern.

• cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    I tried and failed to lose weight so many times and I can't tell you why it worked this time but I know why it stuck. At first I was frustrated that it took me 2 years to get to goal but in the end I think that made a big difference. Since it took so long it became a habit to eat in a healthier way. Now if I overindulge I actually feel a bit nauseated. My eating style is quite different from what it used to be but it took a long time to get to where I am. I don't feel cheated in any way now when I bypass stuff. Often I will have a bite or very small portion if I have the calories but if I don't I'm ok with not having any. I know a day will come when I have the extra calories to have a small portion. Take your time and make changes you can live with. I really think the answer alot of the time is being patient rather than trying to lose 3 or 4 pounds a week like people often do. If you have to lose .5 a week it's better in the long run if you keep it off. Good luck!
  • foxylufc
    foxylufc Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone thank you too you all for replying well I’ve gone back too the gym today after months off putting it off I didn’t want too go but I know I have too and I must admit I feel pretty good thanks guys
  • Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    Options
    Are you perhaps making your maintenance plan unsustainable?

What do you consider healthy eating? Are you eating things you don't enjoy? If you've been avoiding a lot of foods because you think they are bad for you, then start incorporating them again you can have a bit of an all-or-nothing mentality about it and end up in a yo-yo pattern.

x100
    do you enjoy going to gym? honestly? for the rest of your life? I sure don't. so i don't! Others enjoy the gym and that's cool too. But if the gym is not for you, i highly recommend finding other forms of exercise you do enjoy and are more likely to maintain for years. walking, jogging, cycling, team sports. whatever you enjoy.

similarly on the food plan. while yes, eating to lose/maintain means you can't eat ALL THE THINGS at once in large quantity. But are you cutting out all foods you enjoy when you say "eating healthy"? is that something you can see doing for life? if not, find a balance of mostly healthy and some treats in your day/week. I include chocolate and dessert at least 1-2x a day. I eat foods i enjoy and look forward to (some healthy, some not). This not only makes weight loss less of a "chore" but will mean i can keep this up during maintenance.