Losing too much first week?

Options
I've followed MFPs recommendations and yet I've lost 2.5 lbs in my first full week without meaning to. I've heard that even 2 lbs/wk is a bit much to lose and I want to be healthy about this.

My settings are 5'6" female, started at 146.5 lbs (now 144 lbs), lightly active, losing 1 lb/wk. My calorie intake is set at 1410/day which I've been hitting, if not going over 100 or so some days, while eating back all exercise. I've done 15-30 min of light aerobics 3x/wk, mild stretching/yoga/walking for 10-20 min the other days.

This is the first time I've ever even thought about my weight, let alone aimed to lose any, as I've been thin all of my life (thanks to smoking, I'm sure). I quit smoking last year, replaced the cigs with chips every night, and boom! Gained 25 lbs last winter. So I'm looking to get down to my normal weight of 125-130ish.

I've felt fine this past week, no tiredness or hunger really. Is this initial weight loss maybe the water weight that I hear so much about? Was I retaining a lot of fluids due to the massive amounts of sodium I was consuming with the chips? Again, I'm brand-spankin' new to everything weight loss so idk if this is ok or not, if I should continue how I've been, or if I'm setting myself up for failure.

TIA for any tips!

Replies

• buckykatt1
    buckykatt1 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    When I start cutting calories even moderately I tend to drop a LOT of water weight the first couple weeks. Usually 2-2.5 lb. Totally normal.
  • TanyaHooton
    TanyaHooton Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I'm also 5'6, and in the first month I dropped more than I eventually did on a sustained basis.

It's likely that you dropped water weight, and that you literally have less weight into you from eating less food. There are other factors that affect water weight loss too, such as hormonal cycles, illness, environment, exercise, etc.

It's ok that you dropped 2.5 lbs in the first week, as long as you aren't dropping that every week.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,603 Member
    Options
    First week + possible sodium reduction.

Carry on. Plug into weight trend app. Adjust if it continues!
  • Mcwi3681
    Mcwi3681 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the feedback! I won't worry then, sounds like this is normal. Thanks again!!
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about it. Eating less salt, less sugar and fewer carbs will cause your body to release a lot of water. Years ago when I did Atkins, I lost 14 pounds the first two weeks. It took over a month before I lost anything else.
  • Danp
    Danp Posts: 1,561 Member
    Options
    Wight loss is weird, unpredictable and odd.

The danger comes from sustained excessive weight loss. One offs like this can be discarded as anomalies and that goes for weird unexplained one off weight gains as well.