Oh Boy- Picking Back Up

I haven't been tracking my progress for.... a while. Like, almost a year. I was unemployed for most of last year, and I went into a depressive spiral that lasted... well it felt like forever. While I was down I cycled through weight gain and loss. I'd binge for a while. Then I'd have just... weeks where I didn't feel like eating. It was a rough one.

What pulled me out really is my husband losing his job. I snapped into survival/problem-solving mode after months of barely functioning. I cleaned myself up and went job hunting in earnest. I accepted a position at a local pharmacy. A lot has happened in the last six months or so. I got my tech license, which is the most I've done as far as personal advancement in a long time. I've received two small promotions and I am in management at my store now.

Incrementally I've been feeling better. My self esteem has improved since I've been working again. My physical health and strength has improved from the physical activity every day. My hubby is also employed again and in a much better and more stable position. So really, things are going very well for us now.

I've recently been thinking about my weight loss goals again. Thankfully, during this recent bout of depression I didn't undo too much of my previous progress. I weighed in this morning and i'm still below where I originally started from. (I started my journey at 364 lbs, I'm 342 now.)

When I'm "up" (versus being "down") it's so much easier to eat well and exercise. I frame it as self-love and self-care, which is really hard to do when I feel down on myself and my self-worth flatlines. But I shouldn't be dwelling. I aim to take advantage of this upward turn, as long as I can.

So I'm taking my vitamins, eating my greens, and trying to pick back up where I left off. Today is a new day.

Replies

• cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    Good for you! Sometimes it's hard to get back up on that horse but you proved you could do it. So happy to hear things are looking up. I too understand that feeling of when the scale goes up you punish yourself and when it goes down it makes it so much easier to be "good". Even in maintenance I struggle with that because my weight still goes up and down within the goal range. Don't know why we do that to ourselves. Anyway good luck on your journey.
  • SisterSueGetsFit
    SisterSueGetsFit Posts: 1,212 Member
    Keep up the good work and positive attitude.
  • Ellevated
    Ellevated Posts: 182 Member
    It sounds like you've been through a really tough time so remember to be kind to yourself. We all have our ways of coping and you were doing the best you could. Here's to new beginnings!
  • Terytha
    Terytha Posts: 2,097 Member
    Life happens, and with it tough times. If you need to stop caring about your weight to get through then that's what you need to do.

You can always pick yourself back up. :)
  • forumromanus77
    forumromanus77 Posts: 25 Member
    Thank you all so much. <3 I'm ready to move forward!