Low Energy?

peachvine29
peachvine29 Posts: 400 Member
edited May 2019 in Health and Weight Loss
Hello there MFP friends.

So I am 26 female, and have been on this weight loss journey with MFP for a little over a year now. I started in February 2018 at 190 lbs. My highest recorded weight was 200 lbs. in January 2017. Today, I am 138 lbs. (lowest was 135.4 lbs.). I have lost weight at a pretty consistent rate of a little under a pound the entire time.

For most of the beginning of my journey, I think I tried to cut calories too late (1,200 to 1,400), and would still binge and splurge, but it resulted in a deficit anyway. For the last couple months, I've been aiming for 1,500 calories at a MFP rate of losing 0.5 lbs. a week. I seem to be losing a bit more than that, though (Over the last 3 months, my highest weight was 146 and lowest was 135.4 lbs.). I'm not sure if I could be eating a little more.

I would still like to lose about 13 lbs., I do have a considerable amount of belly and back fat still hanging on. I work out at least 3 times a week for 45 minutes each doing a pretty high intensity conditioning class. Prior to starting this class two weeks ago, I have been lifting weights for over a year. I do just need to lose more fat.

My energy has been really low lately. I've become pretty reliant on more and more caffeine (1-3 cups a day). I work full time and am in school full time. I try to get enough sleep but I probably get about 6-7 hours a night on average during the week. I sleep in a lot and take naps on the weekend. I also have some unaddressed anxiety and depression and have anxiety in relationship and about my future. Maybe that's what's draining me?

As for diet, I've been trying to eat high protein (130 grams a day), medium carbs and fat. I usually go over my fat and carb goals, and don't hit protein goals. I think I need to incorporate more fruits and especially veggies. I opened up my diary if anyone is interested. Today has been a little unhealthy as I am just so tired and shot today already.

I definitely have some dieting fatigue, but at the same time I am really used to counting calories. Just trying to get to the finish line into maintennance, which I know won't be easy either.

Any tips for low energy? Or suggestions on where to go from here? Thank you!!!

v8vblmzm2vgw.png

Replies

• NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    edited May 2019
    Congrats on your success so far. Nice job!

If you are losing faster than expected it may be that your non exercise movement as increased and you need to eat a little more now.

Have you been to the doctor lately and had blood work done? You may be deficient in something like D.

Have you taken a diet break? If not, now would be a good time to take a couple of weeks at maintenance. Here is a thread about it:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10604863/of-refeeds-and-diet-breaks/p1
  • peachvine29
    mph323 wrote: »
    Have you taken any diet breaks? A couple of weeks eating at maintenance might be very beneficial at this point. There's a very informative thread you might check out called "Of refeeds and diet breaks".

I have not. Some have suggested it before. I just don't want to stop the weight loss. But, I think I will reconsider so that I can start feeling healthy and vital again and not crabby and moody lol.
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,298 Member
    Please read the article, it is very informative. Protracted time on calorie restrictions can cause deficiencies which can leave one depleted. You have not mentioned your height, or I did not notice, I'm 5'3" and my goal is 140. When one has lost significant weight as you have it can take a while for tone to return. Choosing a period in maintenance could, by helping you feel better in yourself, help you continue weight loss because your body is feeling better.

Looking back at your initial entry. I'm wondering if you are "eating back", all or a proportion of the calories you are using in your new exercise programme. Some set up their regime without exercise and then log any exercise they do. In these circumstances you will need more food to sustain you than when you were not doing as much in the way of exercise. My expectation is you will find the key to your feeling more like your old self in the additional calories you truly need to accomplish your new regime. You could see what happens to your calorie allocation if you increase your activity level as against logging individual exercise periods.

Please take care of yourself and your body will respond, continue to count your calories so you are not tempted to go back into binging or what ever. Then remember the closer you get to your goal the more difficult it will become to loose weight at half a pound a week. You have done really well this far, keep up the good work. Heaven forbid you do not recover your vitality in a month or so may I suggest you seek medical advice.
  • peachvine29
    edited May 2019
    Fuzzipeg wrote: »
    Please read the article, it is very informative. Protracted time on calorie restrictions can cause deficiencies which can leave one depleted. You have not mentioned your height, or I did not notice, I'm 5'3" and my goal is 140. When one has lost significant weight as you have it can take a while for tone to return. Choosing a period in maintenance could, by helping you feel better in yourself, help you continue weight loss because your body is feeling better.

Looking back at your initial entry. I'm wondering if you are "eating back", all or a proportion of the calories you are using in your new exercise programme. Some set up their regime without exercise and then log any exercise they do. In these circumstances you will need more food to sustain you than when you were not doing as much in the way of exercise. My expectation is you will find the key to your feeling more like your old self in the additional calories you truly need to accomplish your new regime. You could see what happens to your calorie allocation if you increase your activity level as against logging individual exercise periods.

Please take care of yourself and your body will respond, continue to count your calories so you are not tempted to go back into binging or what ever. Then remember the closer you get to your goal the more difficult it will become to loose weight at half a pound a week. You have done really well this far, keep up the good work. Heaven forbid you do not recover your vitality in a month or so may I suggest you seek medical advice.

I do wonder if I may be nutritionally depleted in something, I would like to have that checked out. I have a physical at my primary in a month and may ask her to check.

I am 5'7.5'' inches. I know 125 sounds like a low goal weight, but I definitely have a good amount of fat to lose at 138 and have weight lifted hard for years so I'm not sure how much tone should be an issue when I am leaner. I have a small frame and thin bone structure.

I underestimate my calories out a little bit, and eat them all back. I just take off a bit from what MFP tells me but not much. I don't really know how many calories I burn in a conditioning class. I do have a fitbit but am not the best at using it yet.

Thank you for the advice. Everyone is telling me to take a break. I may need to if I want to feel better.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,935 Member
    I don't disagree with the maintenance break idea, but want to underscore the point about nutrition (i.e., blood tests, plus - as you say yourself - increasing your veggies/fruits to at least get your 5-a-day in the interests of adequate micronutrient intake (vitamins, minerals, antioxidants and other phytochemicals)).

If it's possible within your overall life routine, regularizing your sleep might also be helpful. Your 6-7 hours is possibly on the light side (varies by person), but that "sleep in a lot and take naps on the weekend" stuff is not necessarily as restful and easy on your body as a more regular routine that's consistent day in and day out.

We're quick to go to "optimize your calorie level" solutions here, and often they truly are key . . . but for a body under various kinds of stress (long term reduced calories among them), trying to tune up other remedial steps can also be helpful, if it's manageable without adding to your stress level.

Hugs and best wishes!