Transitioning to a plant based diet! (first day)

Options
2»

Replies

• Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    edited May 2019
    Options
    Chieflrg wrote: »
    Since you will have cut out the majority of a carnivorous diet you more than likely will be depleted on eccential BCAA's of leucine, value, & isoleucine.

It's very important to your health to retain muscle mass. Without leucine (3-4g per meal recommended)muscle protein synthesis cannot take place.

I would suggest to supplement this meals you are very low on the essential amino acids.

Barbell Medicine has a high quality pea protein isolate that matched the protein/bcaa compared to whey if that is something that you are concerned about.
    I drink BCAAS mixed with water during my workout would it be a good idea to drink it through out the day? I have a pea protein powder not sure if it has a lot of BCAAS in it! Will have to look , thank you for this info!!

What I would suggest is just do a bit of research and see what amount of the amino acids amounts are present in what foods that you prepare.

Protein without the amino acids basically becomes a more expensive fuel source and not what it can do optimally. Which is engage muscle protein synthesis which will either help retain muscle or build muscle when combined with adequate resistance training while either in a caloric surplus(gain muscle) or deficit(lose fat).

Certain "vegan" friendly foods combined give a pretty close dosage of the eccential amino acids such as royal red beans and brown rice which a 100g of each nets about 3g of leucine which is very desirable.

Some do not give much at all, which can be problematic.

Here is a site that can reflect a lot nutritional info that you might want to look into.
    https://www.traditionaloven.com/foods/details/legume/beans-kidney-royal-red-mature-seeds-raw.html

I wouldn't suggest consuming BCAAs throughout the day but certainly when you are consuming foods low in EAAs.
  • Chieflrg
    Options
    Since you will have cut out the majority of a carnivorous diet you more than likely will be depleted on eccential BCAA's of leucine, value, & isoleucine.

It's very important to your health to retain muscle mass. Without leucine (3-4g per meal recommended)muscle protein synthesis cannot take place.

I would suggest to supplement this meals you are very low on the essential amino acids.

Barbell Medicine has a high quality pea protein isolate that matched the protein/bcaa compared to whey if that is something that you are concerned about.

Curious why anybody feels the need to woo this?

There is overwhelming science based evidence on the importance of eccential amino acids particularly leucine, valine, & isoleucine which is easily obtained if eating a carnivirous diet. Not a absolute for those who choose to eat a plant based or vegan diet.

There is also plenty of evidence on how losing muscle mass is a giant red flag to poor health and lesser quality of life.

A valid point to or citation would be greatly appreciated.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    edited May 2019
    Options

There is overwhelming science based evidence on the importance of eccential amino acids particularly leucine, valine, & isoleucine which is easily obtained if eating a carnivirous diet. Not a absolute for those who choose to eat a plant based or vegan diet.

There is also plenty of evidence on how losing muscle mass is a giant red flag to poor health and lesser quality of life.

@Chieflrg there is a lot of confusion about the Woo button - many people think it means Woo Hoo. There are also people who misuse it. I've been advocating that it be changed to a clearer "Disagree" for some time now, to no avail.

See https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10737777/woo-does-not-mean-woo-hoo/p1
  • pierinifitness
    pierinifitness Posts: 2,231 Member
    Options
    @Chieflrg appreciate your posts and they’ve added to my curiosity and pursuit of new fitness, health and wellness knowledge. Keep them coming.

Off topic, I believe those who hit the woo button know exactly what it means which is what you’re thinking. After a while, it becomes like a fly in your car while driving that you’d like to swat but can’t so instead you ignore.
  • Chieflrg
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

@Chieflrg there is a lot of confusion about the Woo button - many people think it means Woo Hoo. There are also people who misuse it. I've been advocating that it be changed to a clearer "Disagree" for some time now, to no avail.

See https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10737777/woo-does-not-mean-woo-hoo/p1

Yes I understand this and I've witnesses this over the years on MFP while I've tried to help people or learn something myself. This seems to be one of another reasoning.

1. Possible dislike for the bluntness and loyalty towards current science based evidence. Which is fine...just if any of the "woo" clickees would like to shed some knowledge, this would be a great place to share. Last call?
    2. "Woo monsters" who just do it because they can and/or they have petty reasons. Which then the woo button was just child play, which again is fine. I wouldn't hazard any woo'r to actually reply as its not their nature to act within some sort of reason and we move on because of indifference.

Oh well, I apologize to you @rayraynicole15 if my request disrupted your thread. I hope you have great success with your diet and goals.

• lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options

I drink BCAAS mixed with water during my workout would it be a good idea to drink it through out the day? I have a pea protein powder not sure if it has a lot of BCAAS in it! Will have to look , thank you for this info!!

What I would suggest is just do a bit of research and see what amount of the amino acids amounts are present in what foods that you prepare.

Protein without the amino acids basically becomes a more expensive fuel source and not what it can do optimally. Which is engage muscle protein synthesis which will either help retain muscle or build muscle when combined with adequate resistance training while either in a caloric surplus(gain muscle) or deficit(lose fat).

Certain "vegan" friendly foods combined give a pretty close dosage of the eccential amino acids such as royal red beans and brown rice which a 100g of each nets about 3g of leucine which is very desirable.

Here is a site that can reflect a lot nutritional info that you might want to look into.
    https://www.traditionaloven.com/foods/details/legume/beans-kidney-royal-red-mature-seeds-raw.html

I wouldn't suggest consuming BCAAs throughout the day but certainly when you are consuming foods low in EAAs.

I didn't woo you and thought it was helpful information, but it's certainly possible to get all the amino acids without too much trouble eating a plant-based diet. I agree it's important, so personally have used Cronometer when I've chosen to eat 100% plant based for a while, as it has a nice breakdown of those, plus tons of other nutrients so you can see if you are tending to get what you need or not (which is why I've converted to it as my place to log when I log no matter how I'm eating). For what it's worth, I've never had an issue with protein or any of the amino acids even when eating no animal products (beans and lentils are helpful for that, among other things).

The one thing I'd take issue with is the notion of combining (although it happens naturally in a lot of common dishes, as you note). That used to be considered necessary (you need the beans and rice in one meal), but now it's understood that it's more like over the course of a day or so, they need not be eaten at the same time.
  • Dgil1975
    Dgil1975 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Some good info here for you, but would echo many of the other sentiments. Get Beans and Lentils as a staple in the diet, with some tofu or tempeh and the protein takes care of itself. Nuts and seeds give you the healthy fats and some protein. Specifically Pepittas in a 50 gram serving gives you 18 grams of protein. I would stay away from the fake meats as they are just processed crap anyways. In regard to your protein intake the average woman needs 46 grams of protein to maintain healthy levels, so your not that far off. If you get into serious strength training or bodybuilding moderately higher protein levels would be helpful.
  • Chieflrg
    Options
    lemurcat2 wrote: »

I didn't woo you and thought it was helpful information, but it's certainly possible to get all the amino acids without too much trouble eating a plant-based diet. I agree it's important, so personally have used Cronometer when I've chosen to eat 100% plant based for a while, as it has a nice breakdown of those, plus tons of other nutrients so you can see if you are tending to get what you need or not (which is why I've converted to it as my place to log when I log no matter how I'm eating). For what it's worth, I've never had an issue with protein or any of the amino acids even when eating no animal products (beans and lentils are helpful for that, among other things).

The one thing I'd take issue with is the notion of combining (although it happens naturally in a lot of common dishes, as you note). That used to be considered necessary (you need the beans and rice in one meal), but now it's understood that it's more like over the course of a day or so, they need not be eaten at the same time.

My point is without leucine specifically MPS cannot happen at all. So if you have a meal full of vegan protein source that leucine is next to nil and don't eat again for six hours. That protein will be used for fuel(which is ok) but not used for MPS.

In long-term studies, leucine intakes equivalent to 8 or more grams per day are recommended in divided doses so that at least 2.5 grams of leucine are consumed at each meal.

So if the idea in the woo'rs mind is that consuming leucine and other EAAs without balancing the meals out reasonably throughout the day is optimal, than I would certainly disagree and would still ask for a citation from a long term study that shows this.

I appreciate your reply ☺.

• lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,961 Member
    Options
    lemurcat2 wrote: »

My point is without leucine specifically MPS cannot happen at all. So if you have a meal full of vegan protein source that leucine is next to nil and don't eat again for six hours. That protein will be used for fuel(which is ok) but not used for MPS.

In long-term studies, leucine intakes equivalent to 8 or more grams per day are recommended in divided doses so that at least 2.5 grams of leucine are consumed at each meal.

So if the idea in the woo'rs mind is that consuming leucine and other EAAs without balancing the meals out reasonably throughout the day is optimal, than I would certainly disagree and would still ask for a citation from a long term study that shows this.

I appreciate your reply ☺.

Well, that's close to three times the RDI for leucine for someone who weights 70 kg (154 lbs/11 stone), but I'll bite.

I could eat 3/4 of a cup of tofu to get 2.5 g of leucine. Maybe stir-fry some shiitake to go with it -- 100 g of fresh shiitake would add another 190 mg of leucine, for only 39 kcal. Call that lunch.

Maybe at dinner I'd have chickpeas (about 1 g of leucine for 200 g of chickpeas/280 kcal), sauteed spinach (200 mg of leucine for 100 g of spinach at 23 kcal), a slice of polenta (1.2 g of leucine for a quarter-cup/110 kcal of whole-grain cornmeal), and sprinkle 15 g of pumpkin seeds over the spinach for another 200 mg of leucine and 60 kcal). That's 2.6 g of leucine, and 473 kcal, plus whatever fat I might use cooking the spinach and polenta.

I'm pretty traditional about breakfast most of the time, so maybe I'd go with a double serving of oatmeal topped off several tablespoons of hemp or chia seeds. Or maybe stir in some of my favorite vegan "protein powder" -- plain partially defatted peanut meal, with just over half a gram of leucine per 100 kcal serving (if I could find a source for the completely defatted version, that would double the leucine to calorie ratio). Personally, I'm not a huge fan of soy protein isolate, but that gets you about 2 g of leucine per 100 kcal serving.

Maybe "supplement" my leucine with some tasty roasted seaweed as a snack at some point in the day.

• Kitsgirl2
    Kitsgirl2 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    There's so many options for vegetarian and vegan meals. I'm not vegan but have greatly reduced meat for health reasons so try to chose vegan or vegetarian options when out.

I'm hoping you like ethnic foods because there's so much to choose from that you can try when out and then try to replicate at home. Think Thai food (thai curries), Indian (daal) or Lebanese (falafels, hummus), Mexican (bean burritos) and there's lots of 'meat' substitutes.

If you've eaten meat before and like the taste of meat, then things like Beyond Meat burgers and brats are a great substitute. Don't be turned off by some of the things you find out there. It's experimenting with vegan food because some of it is really bad tasting so just because one thing doesn't taste good from a product line doesn't mean that another isn't good.
    Gardein Mandarin Chick'n is pretty good and with stir fry veggies and rice make a nice meal.
    Violife gouda cheese is really good and Kite Hill 'cream cheese' with herbs is yummy.

Just know it's hit and miss so don't be turned off by one thing. Keep experimenting and Whole Foods takes returns of things you didn't like so it's not as scary to try new things. :)
  • jwoolman5
    jwoolman5 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I find it hard not to get enough protein when eating vegan... So it must not be that hard.

Check out this site run by a registered dietician and aimed at vegan eating:

jacknorrisrd.com

He has a huge article on Protein somewhere in the archives, going into it amino acid by amino acid, that also has a calculator to give guidelines for minimum protein goals based on your ideal weight (not necessarily your current weight, but the ideal weight since if we're over - it ain't muscle for most of us).

For instance, ideal weight of 110 lbs gives minimum 40 grams protein per day. My ideal weight is just that, and it is easy to make that and more even eating strictly vegan and being low on calories sometimes. If I were more active and eating more, it would be even easier. Athletes typically need more - I know a vegan athlete who goes for about 100 grams per day. Not sure she really needs that much, but Americans do tend to obsess about protein. So it depends on your activities as well as your ideal weight.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    edited May 2019
    Options
    jwoolman5 wrote: »
    I find it hard not to get enough protein when eating vegan... So it must not be that hard.

jacknorrisrd.com

He has a huge article on Protein somewhere in the archives, going into it amino acid by amino acid, that also has a calculator to give guidelines for minimum protein goals based on your ideal weight (not necessarily your current weight, but the ideal weight since if we're over - it ain't muscle for most of us).

For instance, ideal weight of 110 lbs gives minimum 40 grams protein per day. My ideal weight is just that, and it is easy to make that and more even eating strictly vegan and being low on calories sometimes. If I were more active and eating more, it would be even easier. Athletes typically need more - I know a vegan athlete who goes for about 100 grams per day. Not sure she really needs that much, but Americans do tend to obsess about protein. So it depends on your activities as well as your ideal weight.

That 40 grams would be for a sedentary individual eating maintenance calories. if you workout and need muscle repair or are in a deficit your protein requirements increase and working out in a deficit even more (as in 0.8-1 gram per lb of lean body mass, so at 110, 15% bf% that would be 75 to 94 grams, or about double the 40 grams) being vegan/plant base does not lower your body's need for protein.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,040 Member
    Options
    erickirb wrote: »
    jwoolman5 wrote: »

jacknorrisrd.com

That 40 grams would be for a sedentary individual eating maintenance calories. if you workout and need muscle repair or are in a deficit your protein requirements increase and working out in a deficit even more (as in 0.8-1 gram per lb of lean body mass, so at 110, 15% bf% that would be 75 to 94 grams, or about double the 40 grams) being vegan/plant base does not lower your body's need for protein.

100% agree with this.

Sounds like the calculator mentioned is using the USDA recommendations, or something close. I like the article linked below for a discussion of who needs how much protein for best risk management:

https://examine.com/nutrition/how-much-protein-do-you-need/

The best very general advice I could give is not to rely on advocacy sites for data on how much of any nutrient you need, but to consider their advice when it comes to which foods to eat in order to get more of that nutrient, and - in a much more cautious way - to identify nutrients that may need special attention in a fully plant-based diet.
  • wilson10102018
    wilson10102018 Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    I got pretty good at identifying the vegans from the vegetarians from the among the parade of lasses my two hunky sons would bring by for swimming or socializing. I could predict from that sickly look which they had and got to the point that snack or meals I would fix were almost always on target: "Did Jay tell you I was vegan?" "Uh, no, I just guessed."

Advice: try Plant + dairy +eggs first.