Apple Watch calorie calculation

Options
I am trying out 3 apps to log food and exercise. I am wondering who this app gives me so few calories burned. The others give me twice as much. Am I missing something?

Replies

• shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    edited May 2019
    Options
    This app and Apple Watch don’t play well with each other.

MFP isn’t getting the correct calorie information for it to do the math correctly. I switched to Apple Watch from Fitbit and while both devices give me similar TDEE estimates the adjustments were hundreds of calories lower with Apple. Basically you should see extra calories when you have exceeded what MFP thought you would burn. However Apple isn’t sending MFP a full day calorie burn or even the active calories. I still haven’t figured out exactly where MFP is getting the numbers.

I switched to logging in another App even though I had been using MFP for years for this reason.
  • nurees
    nurees Posts: 23 Member
    edited May 2019
    Options
    Not 100% sure of all the steps but today was the first day since I’ve had my Apple Watch that MFP had a close amount of extra exercise calories assigned. I downloaded Pacer app to link to MFP for steps to see if helps. Nope. Today I went into Apple Health and under Sources chose MFP. Turned off all categories. Exited. Went back in and turned all on again. Made sure MFP was looking at Watch and not Phone or Pacer as source of steps. Exited MFP and logged back in and I showed nearly 300 exercise calories when there have been zero for months.