Really low on fibre today

Options
I've already tracked my whole day but just noticed that I've only got about 7g of fibre logged! Nearly hit my protein goal for the first time so back to the drawing board to get some more fibre in somehow.

Replies

• Dreamwa1ker
    Dreamwa1ker Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I am someone who has been working on getting more fiber for a few reasons. A couple tips:
    1. If you look back at last week or two, see how much fiber you get on average. If 7g seems to be the average and not a fluke, don't try to jump to say 20 or 25 all at once to try to hit the goal or you will not be having a good time gastric-wise. Ramp up slowly, increase your average a small amount a week and make sure to get enough water too.
    2. I started out going rather low carb when I was cutting calories (not following a particular plan, just my natural inclination since I like meat way more than grains) BUT then I had issues from not enough fiber. I instead increased my carbs but focused on adding good sources of fiber. E.g. I started eating a lot of legumes like beans, lentils, chickpeas, etc. So now I'll either mix a small amount of beans/lentils into something I'm eating, or have them as one of my side dishes. I also found a pasta brand that has way more fiber than some others (probably enriched) and started eating that when I'm sick of beans that week.
    3. As a last resort, if there's a day or two where I just know I'm not going to be close to my fiber goal, I'll have a fiber one bar as dessert to add 5g of fiber for about 90 calories.
  • Justin_7272
    Justin_7272 Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    There are fiber supplements also; pill and dissolvable. The pills should be around 2g fiber per 10 calories.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    Most Americans don't get enough fiber. Most aren't even aware of it, so you're way ahead of the game. Using MFP is a learning experience, and you're doing it right.
  • sammidelvecchio
    sammidelvecchio Posts: 791 Member
    Options
    I was also surprised how low my fiber intake was. I have started adding a fiber powder to my protein shake in the morning. It's pretty affordable in powder form. I use 2 servings, which is 40 calories and 6g fiber. This was what fit best into my schedule and diet.
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Options
    What do you eat that is so low in fiber?! I struggle because I get way too much (always over 100g)
  • poisonesse
    poisonesse Posts: 530 Member
    edited May 2019
    Options
    When I'm low on fiber, my go-to food is Ole Wellness tortillas (wraps). They come in at 11 G of fiber, 50 calories, total of 16 carbs, but net carbs are only 5. I wrap one in a paper towel, nuke it for 20 minutes, then lightly butter it (1/2t is MORE than you need when they're warm) and it makes a great go-with for any dinner. Add a touch of honey, and it's a great dessert or treat. Low on calories, low on net carbs, and very high on fiber. Can't beat that combo! Personally, I come in between 26G of fiber (my goal) and 36 every day. (Did you know that CHOCOLATE has fiber??? >:) )
  • TrishSeren
    TrishSeren Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    What do you eat that is so low in fiber?! I struggle because I get way too much (always over 100g)

100grams of fibre?!?! How! Is that even a good idea?
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    sharonlep wrote: »
    I've already tracked my whole day but just noticed that I've only got about 7g of fibre logged! Nearly hit my protein goal for the first time so back to the drawing board to get some more fibre in somehow.

I find it much easier to balance protein and fiber when I work beans and lentils into my day. Also, Fiber One brownies are only 90 cals and give a nice fiber bump :smile:
  • tauntonmom
    tauntonmom Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    poisonesse wrote: »
    I wrap one in a paper towel, nuke it for 20 minutes, then lightly butter it (1/2t is MORE than you need when they're warm) and it makes a great go-with for any dinner.

I hope you meant 20 seconds (not minutes)?
  • sharonlep
    sharonlep Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Panic over.... I found the chocolate 😭.
    I can't find fibre 1 bars in france and those wraps sound amazing but I'd never get them here either.
    I think it was a case of some items not properly registered with fiber and 'e concentrating too much on protein.
    Thanks all :)
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Options
    MikePTY wrote: »

Quite easy to be low on fiber if you eat a diet heavy in meats and dairy and processed grains.
    The better question is what on earth do you eat to consistently get over 100g of fiber?

I used to eat like 150 when I was on my 4-5 quest bar a day kick, LOL. But now I get it mainly from lots of canned pumpkin, I eat 3 wraps a day (10g each), lots of broccoli and veggies, 2-3 protein bars which always have 10-20g fiber.