Mind Your Own Plate.

Options
Do you ever get those negative, pushy people who think they know it all? They think they know your body better than you and like/love to tell you what you should or should not eat?

"You don't really need to eat that piece of cake, do you?"
"Please at some cake, you're making the rest of us feel guilty!"

No, I don't really "need" to eat cake. But once in a while if I want to have a slice, I will, because what's on my plate is actually none of your business. And if you're feeling guilty over my choice to not eat a slice of cake, then you're definitely not paying enough attention to your own plate. If you did, you wouldn't feel guilty in the first place. We are the sum of the choices we make.

https://www.shape.com/healthy-eating/diet-tips/10-food-pushers-and-how-respond

c4zi7dwirezk.jpg

Replies

• MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    Options
    Whenever I hear anything like that, I kind of just give a blank stare, a half smile, and continue making the same decisions that I'm making. Other people can only influence our diets and choices as much as we permit them to.
  • SisterSueGetsFit
    SisterSueGetsFit Posts: 1,211 Member
    Options
    I've been eating a BLT for breakfast everyday for the last two weeks. (Hey, I like bacon) :) While nobody at work has said anything I'm sure they think I'm nuts. But hey---I'm using smart choices of foods and the BLT comes in under 250 calories. #winning
  • Kimmotion5783
    Kimmotion5783 Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    Terytha wrote: »
    That sort of thing has always made me dig my heels in and eat twice as much as I meant to out of sheer antagonism. I hate being told I don't "need" whatever I'm eating. Like, nobody needs a piece of cake! Skinny or fat! Cake is just for fun and enjoyment and fat people get to have that too.

I may be calorie counting but I'm relatively lax with it. My mom used to deny me cough drops when I was sick because "they have calories."

To hell with that. And to hell with never eating cake. Life is short, treat your cold and eat some frosting.

Exactly! I couldn't agree more. As long as I'm not eating the entire cake myself or doing this all day every day, who cares?! One slice once in a blue moon isn't going to make or break anything. It's all about balance and moderation. Wow, I can't believe your mom did that to you- denying you a cough drop because it had calories. If I had a cold, screw the calories! Bring on whatever relieves the aches and pains.
  • Kimmotion5783
    Kimmotion5783 Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    I've been eating a BLT for breakfast everyday for the last two weeks. (Hey, I like bacon) :) While nobody at work has said anything I'm sure they think I'm nuts. But hey---I'm using smart choices of foods and the BLT comes in under 250 calories. #winning

If bacon is wrong, I don't want to be right! LOL. True story- I could never go full vegetarian pretty much because of bacon. I love bacon and refuse to give it up completely.