Went over sodium

Went over my sodium by 2,130 today!! Omg how much with this affect my weight loss today?

Replies

• cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,992 Member
    Maybe some temporary water weight is all. Drink more water and eat foods higher in potassium (pending no medical reasons).
  • Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    edited May 2019
    it won't if you are still at your calorie goal. weight loss is about CALORIES IN CALORIES OUT.

if it's a lot more than usual than you MAY see WATER RETENTION over the next few days but that is NOT weight gain and will just flush out revealing your normal rate of loss.
  • jessstefanick
    jessstefanick Posts: 12 Member
    Thanks I will up my water today!
  • Panini911
    this is the same as your protein post. you won't stall if you stick to YOUR TOTAL CALORIE GOAL.

macros only matter for feeling full and overall health but again one day isn't gonna cause any issues on those either.
  • jessstefanick
    jessstefanick Posts: 12 Member
    Okay thanks. Didn’t know weather sodium level would change anything
  • Panini911
    edited May 2019

it's calories in calories out.

you will get daily and weekly (and monthly as a woman) fluctuations due to water retention and other things. so daily weigh ins won't always show a literal reduction every single day. but the water fluctuations come and go, the weight loss is still happening under there if you are eating at goal daily over time (or weekly as some people look at it)

this is a long term game. a marathon.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,847 Member

I have some short term water retention after I eat Chinese food and don't worry about it. If I have Chinese premenstrually the scale could go up 5 plus pounds temporarily.

I have no medical reason to track Sodium and Sugar and swapped them out for Fiber and Iron (I'm anemic.)
  • GaryRuns
    GaryRuns Posts: 508 Member
    Sodium will affect your weight, temporarily. It won't affect your body composition. Remember your body weight, as measured by the scale, can vary significantly from day to day depending on sodium intake, water intake, hormone fluctuations, etc.. If you're using it as a metric to determine how well you're doing trying to lose fat or gain lean mass you need to use something like a running average. Here's my weight from my scale for the last three months. Yes, I "lost" 6lbs in 24 hours once. (Don't I wish!)
  • COGypsy
    COGypsy Posts: 1,145 Member
    I had nachos last night which I’m sure were a big sodium hit. I was up 4 pounds this morning, but since I know I didn’t go 14,000 calories over maintenance calories and my rings didn’t fit—it’s just water weight and will drop off in a few days. No big deal.