Meatless Meals

acarlson1004
acarlson1004 Posts: 10 Member
edited May 2019 in Food and Nutrition
What are your favorite meatless meals? I made Philly cheesesteak portobello mushrooms tonight. Yum! Basically, you sauté peppers and onions and stuff into the cap of a portobello mushroom, then roast with some provolone cheese. It’s pretty filling and sooo delicious.

Replies

• lalalacroix
    lalalacroix Posts: 834 Member
    My favorite right now is a rice bowl. I basically add 1-2 cups of whatever grain I have on hand (not necessarily rice), top with beans, add some cooked veggies like caramelized onions and mushrooms, top that with some crispy raw veggies and top the whole thing with a lot of salsa. It's usually a ton of food for under 400 calories. Tasty too.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,961 Member
    rice and bean burrito with sour cream and salsa.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    I'm a fan of the protein/veggie/sauce/(carb) template. Tonight was soy curls and roasted broccoli with barbecue sauce. Last night was crumbled soft tofu and broccoli slaw veggie mix with soy sauce based dressing and sriracha light vegan mayo. Tomorrow will be cubed firm tofu and green beans, sauce TBD but maybe something garlicky.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,012 Member
    Oh, man, so many.

Sweet potato and black bean soft tacos, with some kind of white cheese (cotija? queso fresco?) for those who eat dairy. A little tomatillo salsa won't hurt anything.

Broiler-crisped cubes of extra-firm tofu with stir-fried veggies and sturdy Asian-type mushrooms (shiitake, for example), in a miso sauce.

Soy fettucine (warning: very chewy) with caramelized onions, mixed veggies, and a spicy peanut sauce (made with peanut butter powder, chile paste, rice vinegar. Or skip the caramelized onions, and top with raw, minced sweet onions right before serving.

Mini-pita sandwiches with smoked tofu, string cheese, thin-sliced sweet onion, mustard (<== heat that stuff til cheese melts), and good raw sauerkraut.

Chickpea pasta with sauce that has lentils, ground up dried mushrooms, tomatoes, elephant garlic (and plenty of it), onions, and basil or oregano.

Mixed greens salad with roasted veggies, cherry tomatoes, feta cheese, balsamic vinegar, maybe some pepitas.

• amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Most of my meals are meatless, can't even attempt to pick a favorite. Another thread made me want pierogies. I think I'm making potato pierogies with onions this weekend. I wish I wasn't too lazy to work with dough, I would be eating many of my favorite things more often.
  • acarlson1004
    Most of my meals are meatless, can't even attempt to pick a favorite. Another thread made me want pierogies. I think I'm making potato pierogies with onions this weekend. I wish I wasn't too lazy to work with dough, I would be eating many of my favorite things more often.

Sauerkraut pierogis are my favorite, but I usually only have them once a year before Easter! So good.

• funjen1972
    funjen1972 Posts: 949 Member
    Just a simple bowl of oatmeal with brown sugar is my favorite! Not sure others would consider it a meal, but it is often a meal for me.

I also do Spanish rice with taco seasoned onions & peppers topped with fajita fixings. Maybe some beans, but I typically skip them.
  • puffbrat
    puffbrat Posts: 2,806 Member
    Quesadillas with black beans, corn, red bell pepper, goat cheese, and monterey jack

Black bean burgers

Various pastas with veggies

Vegetable lo mein

Vegetable lasagna
  • Sunshine_And_Sand
    Sunshine_And_Sand Posts: 1,320 Member
    -Sweet potato and black bean chili
    -meatless lasagna. Instead of ricotta in the tubs, I grate up some ricotta salata and mix it with cream cheese and one egg. Spread that over individual noodles, sprinkle with mozzarella and roll them up. Cover with tomato sauce season with oregano, salt, pepper. Cover with freshly grate Parmesan and bake. (This one is NOT low calorie so I don't make it as often as I used to).
    -omelette. I use one egg and three egg whites, with chili powder, garlic powder, salt, and pepper whisked in. Fill with drained black beans and melted cheddar. Lots of flavors and pretty filling
  • acarlson1004
    -meatless lasagna. Instead of ricotta in the tubs, I grate up some ricotta salata and mix it with cream cheese and one egg. Spread that over individual noodles, sprinkle with mozzarella and roll them up. Cover with tomato sauce season with oregano, salt, pepper. Cover with freshly grate Parmesan and bake. (This one is NOT low calorie so I don't make it as often as I used to).
    -omelette. I use one egg and three egg whites, with chili powder, garlic powder, salt, and pepper whisked in. Fill with drained black beans and melted cheddar. Lots of flavors and pretty filling

Great idea for black beans in omelette!!
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member

Great idea for black beans in omelette!!

Potatoes in omelet are also divine. I haven't had Spanish tortilla in a while.
  • texasredreb
    texasredreb Posts: 541 Member
    Quoted from AnnP: "Sweet potato and black bean soft tacos, with some kind of white cheese (cotija? queso fresco?) for those who eat dairy. A little tomatillo salsa won't hurt anything."

I love Love LOVE the combination of sweet potatoes (diced) and black beans. I season mine with a home made taco seasoning if I'm using the filling in tacos, enchiladas and the like. Otherwise, I season with powdered chicken base with some cayenne. It makes a great side dish with some slivered almonds added for texture.