I almost gave up

I've been under so much stress in my personal life. When things got tough, the first thing I did was run to food. I haven't been to the gym in weeks. For some reason I'm in the mind set the losing 100 pounds is so far away for me that I'm not sure what to do because I feel like it's a goal I'll never reach. I was doing all right at first. Taking it slow and following my calories on MFP. But somewhere I just got lost.

Does anyone have any tips and tricks to reintroducing themselves to weightloss again? I feel gross in bloated. Maybe short term detox? Or a fun workout routine? Thanksxx

Replies

• 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,463 Member
    Food diary. Food diary. Keep trying. It’s natural to stumble around in this. No one was born counting calories. And it’s natural to be discouraged sometimes, but never give up. Persistence will win in the end. Keep trying.

Agreeing with others, you can’t work day to day with your eyes set on losing 100 lbs. Plan your next day or your next meal instead. You can do this.
  • Fflpnari
    Fflpnari Posts: 975 Member
    Some things that worked for me were lowering my goal for weekly weight loss and focus on the day. Maybe try a new fitness class? Cycling, Zumba, yoga etc Looking at that end goal can seem over whelming to me, and I try to not think about my 120lb weight loss goal.

Good luck!!!!!!!! You are strong and can tackle anything you want!
  • mhowardsells
    mhowardsells Posts: 3 Member
    As my husband always reminds me.... you can only eat an elephant one bite at a time. The weight didn’t appear over night and it won’t drop off over night. Stop looking at the long term numbers. Shoot for the 10 lb markers. I promise you, after about 30 lbs you will be more motivated. You will really start seeing the difference and it does motivate you. Stay strong. We don’t get 2nds on life so do it right the 1st time. You will love your life so much more when you meet your goals.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    edited May 2019
    It helps me to avoid stress eating when I focus on treats which are not food related. Listen to music, enjoy nature, maybe watch a movie, buy new makeup or have your nails done. Or find food substitutes which are low calorie, such as herbal tea or dark chocolate, or Halo Top, or fresh berries.

As far as the gym goes, I have to switch it up and do fun things or I get bored with working out. I like dance video workouts, and then I started running. I also have a stationary bike at home and I make myself do 15 minutes even when I just can’t even. The bike is good because no excuses - it’s in my house, no travel, no weather problems, I don’t even need clean laundry. And I can do anything for fifteen minutes.

Set small goals for yourself on the way to your larger goal. 100 pounds may seem like a lot, but if you keep going, when you look back you will be amazed at how quickly it came off, compared to the whole amount of time you have to live the rest of your life! I’m down 125 lbs and maintaining two years now at a healthy weight. You can do this!
  • AimeeLGosse
    AimeeLGosse Posts: 24 Member
    I found it so encouraging each time I got into a new number range...the 180's, 170's...and so on. Numbers I had not seen in a very long time!!
    You can do it my friend! The results are worth the incredible amount of discipline and work you put into it. So much more good then the weight loss itself!
  • smoofinator
    smoofinator Posts: 635 Member
    This quote has really resonated with me when I get discouraged about how long it takes to get the weight off:

"Never give up on a dream just because of the time it will take to accomplish it, time will pass anyway."
  • DW1Texas
    DW1Texas Posts: 131 Member
    Have heard many times going through my weight loss attempts - "set obtainable goals".
    Success breads more success so make goals that are reasonable - then celebrate when you make them. Log food everyday helps keep you accountable get your MFP friends to help with your accountability by opening up your food diary to them and ask them to keep you accountable. Change up your routine, get out of bad habits. Try new methods of eating - cannot be a diet has to be a fundamental shift in how you approach food and health. Have to focus on both calories in and calories out along with a REASONABLE workout routine. Take things slow in small sections and work your way up. Research things that you think will work for you for example low carb, intermediate fasting, swimming, other low impact exercise and there are many many others - look around on MFP and then research outside of MFP - tons of free resources just have to approach it in a logical manner and build your success one step at a time.