Need tips on more fiber, potassium and carbs in diet

Options
I can't ever seem to get daily recommended levels of fiber, potassium or carbs. How can I improve my nutrient intake?

Replies

• erekstrusinski1989
    erekstrusinski1989 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    MikePTY wrote: »
    Beans will hit all 3.

What kind of beans?
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    Options
    Beans will hit all 3.

What kind of beans?

Any and all beans. White beans have the highest of potassium, but all types of beans and lentils are high in potassium and fiber.
  • lx1x
    lx1x Posts: 38,311 Member
    edited May 2019
    Options
    What works for me..

SCHMIDT OLD TYME 647 BREAD - ITALIAN 7g.fiber per slice.. low cal..
    High fiber oatmeals..

Potassium.. oj, banana, Potatoes..

Carbs.. rice.. spaghetti. Breads

• erekstrusinski1989
    Options
    Beans will hit all 3.

What kind of beans?

Any and all beans. White beans have the highest of potassium, but all types of beans and lentils are high in potassium and fiber.

Thank you very much, I have always had a diet low in beans and lentils so I will definitely incorporate more the next time I buy groceries. I didn't realize it was such a problem until I saw my macros using this app. I'm more of a protein, calcium and fat eater than anything else.
    lx1x wrote: »
    What works for me..

SCHMIDT OLD TYME 647 BREAD - ITALIAN 7g.fiber per slice.. low cal..
    High fiber oatmeals..

Potassium.. oj, banana, Potatoes..

Carbs.. rice.. spaghetti. Breads

I'll have to check for that bread in my local grocery. Thanks!
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,964 Member
    Options
    There's really no nutritional requirement for most people to have a certain amount of carbs. If you prefer more protein and fat, and that works for you in adhering to your calorie goals, you don't need to worry about getting more carbs.

But I second the recommendation of beans and lentils for more fiber and potassium.

Also, nutritional labels in the U.S. are not required to have information about potassium, and many if not most MFP database entries are created from package nutritional labels, so you may be getting more potassium than you think.
  • reversemigration
    reversemigration Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Beans, whole grains (I'm partial to oatmeal), fruits and veggies will all up your fiber intake.

Here's a good listing of things high in potassium: https://health.gov/dietaryguidelines/2015/guidelines/appendix-10/

I'm still trying to convince people in my life that a baked potato, sans high-calorie toppings, is a healthy food. :lol:
  • erekstrusinski1989
    Options
    Beans, whole grains (I'm partial to oatmeal), fruits and veggies will all up your fiber intake.

Here's a good listing of things high in potassium: https://health.gov/dietaryguidelines/2015/guidelines/appendix-10/

I'm still trying to convince people in my life that a baked potato, sans high-calorie toppings, is a healthy food. :lol:

Oh wow didnt know all those foods are high potassium. Like none of those are regular in my diet. Changes must be made!
  • texasredreb
    texasredreb Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    I struggle on the daily to hit fiber, potassium, iron and sodium.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    FYI, much of the info in the MFP database is crowd-sourced and people may have left micro nutrients out. Also, potassium wasn't required to be on labels so you can guarantee many of those numbers are wrong.

However, if you eat a lot of whole foods and use entries that MFP pulled from the USDA database, you will have correct micro info.

Unfortunately, the "verified" green check marks in the MFP database are used for both user-created entries and admin-created entries that MFP pulled from the USDA database. To find admin entries for whole foods, I get the syntax from the USDA database and paste that into MFP.

Note: any MFP entry that includes "USDA" was user entered.

For packaged foods, I verify the label against what I find in MFP. (Alas, you cannot just use do a bar code scan and assume what you get is correct.)
  • Dgil1975
    Dgil1975 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Beans, veggies, fruits, and all those problems are taken care of