Weight increase ?

Options
Hi there,

So this is the second day I've noticed a strange increase in my weight while respecting my calorie intake to the g.

It went like this

I'm exercising three times a week and the days where I've seen increase are those where I stayed at home ( although I still lost weight while staying at home doing nothing physical and eating the same amount during the previous week end aka first two days of diet)

I estimated my TDEE at freedieting.com and that's where I got the amount I'm eating now which is around 2.200 cal.

But MyFitPal estimated my need at 1900 cal when doing nothing which is pretty much the case since I'm not being very active in this period of time, I've decided to go with the other number tho.

What should I do in your opinion : stay at 2200 and see how it goes or slightly reduce to 2100 or maybe 2000 ?

Replies

• grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,154 Member
    Options
    If you're not weighing yourself at the same time everyday, that could also be exacerbating the fluctuations. Your weight wobbles around quite a bit during the day, and during the week. Personally, I might weigh myself several times during the week, but I'm only logging my Saturday morning weigh-in as official. If I step on the scale after work one day, for instance, I might be up as much as 5 or 6 pounds over what I'll be at on Saturday. It's not a linear process, so be patient.
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    Yesterday I weighed myself and I was 164, today I'm 166. It happens and it will go back down. I'm not concerned. What your experiencing is normal
  • RelentlessWyll
    RelentlessWyll Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys you really cheering me up !
    I just got back home from the gym and I weighted myself just out of curiosity.

My training was super low intensity since I've recently switched to a new routine and surprise : 96.3 kg

I think the reason for this insane difference in the span of like 5 hours is that I didn't have enough sleep yesterday, I was stressing out about an interview I had this morning so I think I only slept for less than 6 hours. After my interview I went to sleep again and then to the gym.

So I believe the biggest reason in this is that I didn't have enough sleep, it's interesting because I learn how important it is by experiencing the thing which is awesome. I get to understand my body better now !
  • puffbrat
    puffbrat Posts: 2,806 Member
    Options

My training was super low intensity since I've recently switched to a new routine and surprise : 96.3 kg

I think the reason for this insane difference in the span of like 5 hours is that I didn't have enough sleep yesterday, I was stressing out about an interview I had this morning so I think I only slept for less than 6 hours. After my interview I went to sleep again and then to the gym.

So I believe the biggest reason in this is that I didn't have enough sleep, it's interesting because I learn how important it is by experiencing the thing which is awesome. I get to understand my body better now !

Are all of those weights from today?? Your weight can fluctuate up by several pounds in a single day due to you wearing different clothes, having more water, food and waste in your system; water retention or dehydration, etc. Don't weigh yourself multiple times a day, you will just drive yourself mad. Even daily weighing shows fluctuations on the scale that are not necessarily related to actual fat loss or gain. Weigh yourself once a day at most, first thing in the morning after using the bathroom and before consuming food or drinks, naked or wearing the same clothes every day. Log that weight into a weight trending app like Happy Scale or Libra.
  • RelentlessWyll
    RelentlessWyll Posts: 13 Member
    edited May 2019
    Options
    puffbrat wrote: »

Are all of those weights from today?? Your weight can fluctuate up by several pounds in a single day due to you wearing different clothes, having more water, food and waste in your system; water retention or dehydration, etc. Don't weigh yourself multiple times a day, you will just drive yourself mad. Even daily weighing shows fluctuations on the scale that are not necessarily related to actual fat loss or gain. Weigh yourself once a day at most, first thing in the morning after using the bathroom and before consuming food or drinks, naked or wearing the same clothes every day. Log that weight into a weight trending app like Happy Scale or Libra.

No no of course they're not from a single day.

Only the last one there is from today. Next I wanted to weigh after the gym and having some more sleep and the difference was quite tremendous.
  • Redordeadhead
    Redordeadhead Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    puffbrat wrote: »

This - a fraction of a kilo is not "an insane difference" or tremendous. Weight naturally goes up and down from day to day and throughout the day so you should expect to see ups as well as downs. If you like weighing daily that's fine but look at your trend across a few weeks to be able to gauge your progress.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,611 Member
    Options
    Sorry to disappoint but the difference later in the day and after your gym has nothing to do with the amount you slept and neither did the initial fluctuation.

There are a lot of reasons why weight fluctuates and your daily weight ins are fluctuating in a perfectly normal manner.

You DO need to plug your numbers into a weight trend web site or application (suggestions are Happy Scale, Libra, trendweight.com and weighgrapher.com and I am sure there are others).

you DO need to consider your "weight" to be your trend and not your daily weigh in value.

over time you will discover the various reasons why weight fluctuates for you! :smile:
  • csplatt
    csplatt Posts: 1,003 Member
    Options
    You don't understand bodies and weight fluctuations! That's not how bodies work. I can gain three pounds between now and two hours from now if I go have a big meal.
  • purple4sure05
    purple4sure05 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    My weight slowly increases from about 59 kg to 59.8 kg and back down again every single week. A .5 kg increase over several days is not even close to an "insane fluctuation".