Old School gym devices/set ups

Keto_Vampire
Keto_Vampire Posts: 1,670 Member
https://www.bodybuilding.com/content/7-old-school-strength-treasures-you-wish-your-gym-had.html

Can't say I've used many of these devices but have implemented alternative versions mostly using cables (iron cross - straight arm cable pulldowns, one of my favorite back exercises, swing squat - landmine hack squat/TRX Sissy squat are as close as it gets, pullover bench - using just a flatbench or decline with DB or barbell (lat pullover machine is hard to come by...only seen 2 out of like 15 or so gyms I've been to carry them, etc.).

What are some odd/unique/rare gym devices/set ups you guy/girls use regularly?

Replies

• Keto_Vampire
    Keto_Vampire Posts: 1,670 Member
    Probably the most unconventional piece of equipment I've seen @ a campus gym (4-way hammer neck machine); sure I guess it's practical for wrestling, boxers, & fighters (MMA, etc.). Sure as hell would not be able to find @ any commercial gyms

ayo8p0oz1oj3.png
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    My training is geared to specificity of the big three so I stay clear of machines or set ups.

Once or twice a year I'll pull with a deaflift bar.

I also use a old school SSB that doesn't have handles for a strength block every now and again. I was squatting 525 or something for reps and things felt dicey a couple of the sets without handles.

I have a few weeks of floor press currently which is about as old school as it gets.
  • Spadesheart
    Spadesheart Posts: 463 Member
    That squat machine looks really interesting, but also very fragile. Those rails look like you could snap them, if not easily warp them.
  • Phirrgus
    Phirrgus Posts: 1,894 Member
    I think the only machine the gyms I've used had that was even close non standard was a 45 degree leg press. Everything else was fairly standard equipment. That was the early 80s. Almost everything else was barbells/dumbbells. Some of the gyms on various bases had quite a few machines, but again nothing unusual.

I do remember one that I think they called a mountain climber? Basically a heavy duty stepper with hand grips that you moved along with the stepping, all pretty high resistance. It was a great workout. Nothing much to contribute lol.

Found it - very heavy duty version of this at a Golds Gym late 80s.
    eFMCod5.jpg