Eating after 7 in evening

Options
caryll4
caryll4 Posts: 21 Member
Hello does anyone stop eating at around 7 or 8 in evening just wondering or do you stretch your calories out beyond that point

Replies

• neugebauer52
    neugebauer52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Would that make a difference? And then I fly into a different time zone or have summer and winter time in Europe....Would my stomach object? Curious...
  • Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    Options
    no i eat before bed (which, ok is around 8 or 8:30pm). i just prelog and ensure to keep calories for my bedtime snack.
  • Megan_smartiepants1970
    Megan_smartiepants1970 Posts: 39,048 Member
    Options
    Yes I do ......I do IF(fasting 16:8) so my first meal is at noon and I stop eating at 8pm...Feel free to look at my food journal if you would like....
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    Options
    Why do you feel like you need to stop eating by then? I usually eat into 10-11pm at night (I don't even get home from the gym until close to 9pm). Eating time has no affect on weight loss.
  • LilttleBit
    LilttleBit Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    No. I work until 12:30 AM. I even eat when I get home sometimes.
  • sweetbe44
    sweetbe44 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I usually have a snack in the evening around 9-9:30, usually fruit and cottage cheese or something like that. I plan for it in my day.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,034 Member
    Options
    I'm one of the lucky people who sleeps just fine right after eating, so I eat whenever it's convenient and pleasant. I often ate right before bed, and lost weight just fine.
  • JennBona
    JennBona Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I often eat right before bed, usually 930 at night I just allow the calories for it and try to keep it healthy!
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,136 Member
    Options
    I do because I "close" the kitchen at around 8PM, sooner if possible. I don't like to eat late at night or just before going to bed, I never did.
  • brenn24179
    brenn24179 Posts: 2,144 Member
    Options
    I drink water, coffee or tea, drinks fill me up.
  • ginnytez
    ginnytez Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    I plan an evening snack into my daily calories.
  • csplatt
    csplatt Posts: 1,002 Member
    Options
    I don't set "rules" like that for myself. If I have calories left, I eat them late. If I don't, I try not to. If I'm too hungry, I grab some raspberries or grapes or Skinny Pop Popcorn.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    I stop eating by sundown most of the time. Not because it's better, but because it's what I've always done (even when I was very fat). It doesn't really matter when you eat or stop eating. Don't over-complicate things. Just eat on a schedule that works for you and keeps you satisfied and you'll be fine.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    @amusedmonkey, just out of curiosity, what latitude do you live on?

Asking because I’m at 49 and can’t imagine swinging my eating time ending by 4+hr. December is just after 5 pm, July closer to 9:30pm.

I realize it is a gradual move, and something that, before electricity etc, was quite common but still interested in how you do the seasonal time swings.

A matter of curiosity not criticism.

Cheers, h.
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    edited May 2019
    Options
    It’s 10 pm and I just had a snack, so no. I don’t pre-log and I had some calories left and was feeling peckish, so I ate.
  • amusedmonkey
    edited May 2019
    Options
    @middlehaitch, Middle East. The swing is about 2.5-3 hours for me. The shift happens so slow that I don't feel it. I just know that when it gets dark it feels weird to eat unless it's a special occasion or a night out.

ETA: It works that way because lunch, not dinner, is our main meal. Everyone just eats a light dinner whenever they want, so family dinners are rare and there isn't a set schedule for it. I think if the swing was 4+ hours it would still be the same for me because dinner time is flexible and not tied to any rituals.

ETA 2:

Here is how a day typically goes for me if you're curious how my typical eating schedule works. Dinner can be a bit earlier than sunset but rarely after.
    5kbwyfwirsfi.png

• middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    @amusedmonkey, thanks, sounds a lot more doable with a smaller time swing.

Of course work hours etc also come into play and no one would be home to eat an evening meal, which tends to be our largest meal and when we get together, before a 5pm sunset in our house.

As far as the original question goes,
    We tend to eat our evening meal between 7-8pm then a small ‘supper’ around 9-10.
    The ‘supper’ is usually a drink and a small dessert type food.

Cheers, h.
  • amusedmonkey
    Options
    It's completely understandable. My sister works late sometimes and she has dinner near midnight when she does. I work from home so I have more flexibility and fewer timed events to schedule around.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,983 Member
    Options
    I nearly always eat my evening meal after 7 pm and often after 8 pm. Just the way our work schedules are.
    I often, but not always, have a small snack or dessert even later, about 10 pm.

I don't think it matters at all when you eat, as long as your total calories are at about the right level.

Whatever works for you that makes that happen.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    For over a year now my first meal of the day is usually after 7-8pm, unless a night something going on, then either 6 or 10 pm depending on which side of activity.