Ladies! Chin ups/pull ups

Options
2»

Replies

• Smacfit_
    Smacfit_ Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    It took me almost a year to do one real pull-up (I still remember that day. I was so excited). I did negatives and the assisted machine until I could do real ones.

I cannot wait for this day haha. I'll probably cry with joy at the gym LOL
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    I eventually got to the point where I could do 4 pull-ups. The only thing i know helped me that has not yet been mentioned here was losing 30 lbs. 😜

That is so true. @deputy_randolph mentioned the part body weight plays. I'm totally with her. 5lbs in either direction makes a huge difference in the number of reps I can crank out. The leaner you are, the easier pullups are going to be.
  • NadNight
    NadNight Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    I’m trying to be able to do pull ups too but have ridiculously weedy little arms 😂 I’m building strength through body weight exercises like push ups with different hand positions and chair dips. At my gym we have an assisted pull up machine and I need it to assist 41 of my 48 kg of weight 🤣 I have a long way to go!
  • ISweat4This
    ISweat4This Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    I started with assisted pull-ups, gradually decreasing the weight
  • HDBKLM
    HDBKLM Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    I've been doing full-body weight training 3 times a week, 45-60 minutes at a time, for almost exactly 3 months, and use the assisted pullups and dips machine maybe every other trip to the gym. I don't know what rate of progress is average/normal/whatever at this level of commitment so I'll just share my n=1: I've improved by 20 pounds in this time; that is, my weight has been 135 this whole time, I'm eating at maintenance with an attempt to ensure I get enough daily protein, and when I started I was getting a 70-pound assist for 3 sets of 10 reps. I'm currently at a 50-pound assist for the same.
  • HDBKLM
    HDBKLM Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    Actually did 45 today so make it 25 pounds' improvement!
  • Smacfit_
    Smacfit_ Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    HDBKLM wrote: »
    Actually did 45 today so make it 25 pounds' improvement!

Amazing! Congrats on your progress
  • brittanystebbins95
    brittanystebbins95 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    I can do the reverse grip ones, but not forward grip.
    Reverse grip, I can do about 8 before I hit failure.
    Forward grip? I have to jump and then I can only just hang there. Lol. I'm determined though!
  • justKayRowan
    justKayRowan Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I am a unicorn. I have always been able to pull out a couple of pull ups and chin ups, even after slacking off any exercise at all for a year or being ill in bed with a chest infection.

Are you sure, absolutely certain that the researchers that reinforce the idea that women find these harder than men are not allowing their biases to direct their research.?I mean... Before ww2 white (middle class) women were too delicate for "male" jobs and roles. But in other cultures where the sexes share physical labour more evenly have much more equal sized bodies.

Therefore, I believe a large amount of so called sex differeces are cultural. Feed women and girls less because they're 'delicate' and they will grow up smaller. As they're smaller, they're more delicate and feeble. If this were world wide over all time I would find it easier to believe it has deeper biological roots. But with the above, amongst other arguments, i think it's bunkum! With environment and culture playing a much greater role.

My tip is to practice lowering until that's easier. Then really push yourself to just do it. Make a visual chart. Not on phone, print off for the wall and tick off the three times during the day that you practice.
  • gradchica27
    gradchica27 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    I have really enjoyed Megan Calloway’s pull-up program—took some time off to focus on other goals, but she got me to my first legit chin-up ever. Going back to this later this month to keep working!

https://ultimatepullups.com/