Take-out restaurants serving sizes

dmanakho
dmanakho Posts: 143 Member
I've ordered soba noodles and grilled chicken in Japanese take-out restaurant.

I'm guessing that they have at least 2 servings of noodles in a single portion.

Does anyone have experience and can help me on what I should put for the number of servings that take out restaurants usually have in a single order?

I have hard time estimating cooked noodle portion size.

Replies

• L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Do you have a food scale? You could weigh the portion.
  • dmanakho
    I could , but it won't do me any good. Noodles serving sizes provided for un-cooked product. Once it's cooked weighing it doesn't do any good.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    dmanakho wrote: »
    I could , but it won't do me any good. Noodles serving sizes provided for un-cooked product. Once it's cooked weighing it doesn't do any good.

That's not necessarily true. You can estimate how much water noodles absorb while cooking, if you feel like doing the math: https://cooking.stackexchange.com/questions/42484/how-much-water-does-pasta-absorb-when-it-is-cooked

However, restaurant food is *always* an estimate. It's especially hard to account for things like oil in restaurant food, which is usually more than you'd use at home. But weighing might get your estimate a little closer.

If you can't weigh, always estimate high for restaurant food. If the portion looks big, then in reality it's probably even bigger than you think it is.
  • dmanakho
    Great suggestions! i'm fine with a rough estimation, I'm way under my net calories for the week. I'm guessing take-outs would put at least double serving per order if not more.

Thanks for the link. I didn't know if was possible to calculate water absorption. I'll check it out.

• thanos5
    thanos5 Posts: 513 Member
    dayum, great link @apullum , thanks for sharing