Sodium

Options
crowleyed72
crowleyed72 Posts: 247 Member
Okay y’all I’m trying it once again an watching better what I eat. I’ve noticed that almost every day I’m way over on salt even tho I don’t add any to foods. I rinse canned vegetables before I cook them. Anyone know how much salt that cuts from the dish. Any other ideas on cutting sodium. Thx

Replies

• apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    Has your doctor told you that you need to restrict sodium?
  • crowleyed72
    crowleyed72 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Heart patient
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    Start with looking at which foods give you the most sodium and look for replacements. Frozen veggies will have less than canned, as one example.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,984 Member
    Options
    Okay y’all I’m trying it once again an watching better what I eat. I’ve noticed that almost every day I’m way over on salt even tho I don’t add any to foods. I rinse canned vegetables before I cook them. Anyone know how much salt that cuts from the dish. Any other ideas on cutting sodium. Thx

Why not just buy low- or no-added sodium canned veggies to begin with, so that you'll have accurate info on sodium from the label. The price is generally the same. Or buy frozen veggies as @nutmegoreo suggests.
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options
    pssst ... frozen vegetables are normally cheaper, have a lower sodium content and retain their nutrition. I think they taste nicer too. When it comes to things like beans and lentils, buy dry and soak rather than buying them in a can. I know it is not as convenient but it is a heck of a lot cheaper.
  • vggb
    vggb Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    My doctor just told me to cut out salt/sodium also. She said if it's canned or pre-packaged it will have salt. So I bought no-salt canned veggies, I read labels, bought several different flavors of Ms. Dash and eat fresh stuff (meat and veggies/fruit). I've picked up some salt-free recipes that are easy, and simply stopped eating stuff that has salt in it.

If it's in there naturally, like eggs, that's ok. I also lowered my sodium intake in the macros here to 1500. So far I have been very successful at never getting that far.

It's been over 30 days and the difficulty has passed, my tastes have changed for the better and the icing on the cake is I have lost almost 10lbs since the exclusion of sodium/salt.

I educated myself as to what to eat, what is ok, what is not and looked up a lot of stuff about no-salt recipes and diets and eating on the internet. So it will be limiting at first, and if you are a "foodie" where taste is utmost, there will be frustrations...at first. It will be worth it, my blood work showed significant improvement across the board. Good luck and don't give up.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    If you're eating a lot of processed food, your sodium is going to be high. Get fresh or frozen vegetables rather than canned. If you get canned goods, look for low sodium options.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options

Why not just buy low- or no-added sodium canned veggies to begin with, so that you'll have accurate info on sodium from the label. The price is generally the same. Or buy frozen veggies as @nutmegoreo suggests.

This.