Fast Food

So sometimes it’s tough to find time to cook. I’ll meal prep and stuff, but some days it’s just easier to get fast food. I try to stick to things like sandwiches or salads but I’m curious: what’s your guys’ go-to fast food (or fast casual) restaurant and what do you order??

Replies

• HulkV2
    HulkV2 Posts: 32 Member
    If I'm at work and forget my lunch I go with sashimi. If my wife and I are out I get a steak but for fast food I can get just about anything without a bun. I do chicken salads too.
  • leahannhorton
    leahannhorton Posts: 20 Member
    Honestly, if I'm looking for something quick when I'm out and about at work I hit the grocery store. Grab something from the deli (usually labeled with nutritional information) and it's typically cheaper.
  • Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    to be honest, salads can be calorie bombs. check online or order carefully. Ditto sandwhiches.

nothing wrong with stopping to pick up fast food, but most chains have their nutritional info online so go in an informed buyer and stick to your calories.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,585 Member
    And, on a lot of the fast food websites, you can customize your order so see what the calories/macros are without mayo, cheese, bread, veggies, etc.
  • whoami67
    whoami67 Posts: 297 Member
    I like the double chicken avocado salad at El Pollo Loco. They have things that are lower in calories, but that's my favorite item on the menu.
  • gallicinvasion
    gallicinvasion Posts: 1,015 Member
    Street tacos are awesome! I also love avocado rolls with spicy mayo from the sushi place.
  • lx1x
    lx1x Posts: 38,309 Member
    My typical.. Wendy's, chicfila, subway and taco Bell. As stated .. plenty to choose from depending on your Cal goal. Myself.. I have 2k cal per day. 😇
  • ultra_violets
    ultra_violets Posts: 202 Member
    edited May 2019
    Fast food doesn't have to be off limits, is how I see it. Because most of us are regular people on a budget and it's just a reality of life that sometimes you need an inexpensive meal on the go. I usually hit up Wendy's or McDonald's for a cheeseburger, plain, no bun. Wendy's also does good salads. If you're on the East Coast, the best premade salad I ever had in my life came from Wawa (gas station/convenience store). $5.59 and it comes in its own very generous plastic bowl, with several varieties to choose from and it's always fresh.
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    I don't eat fast food for a lot of reasons (save for when I'm in Europe and I can doner kebab...). That said when I get food that takes a similar amount of time as fast casual it's typically chicken shawarma from a really good Lebanese grocery store near my house (it's actually only two blocks farther away than the closest fast food restaurant) or a stir-fry from the local not Whole Foods which is also very close to my house.

I also am a fan of many of the food carts that are in Portland.
  • TanyaHooton
    TanyaHooton Posts: 249 Member
    I treat myself to Chipotle naked burritos or Noodles & Co's penne rosa once a month. But it's easy to control the calories at those places, and I can make them fit into a regular calorie allowance without sacrificing other things.

When I truly want salty, greasy, calorie-bomb fast food, I get a quarter-pounder (no onions) with fries at McDonald's (sometimes a 10-piece chicken mcnugget instead), or I get a steak quesadilla at Taco Bell. It can be a struggle to make those work, but it's usually do-able if I get the smallest sizes.

My problem is pizza. I love pizza and we have it 3-4 times a month. I don't know how to control myself around pizza, certainly not if my husband is ordering.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Subway at least 2x a week. Roasted chicken breast x2 on honey oat with all the veggies, mustard and vinegar and a bag of Salt and Vinegar Lay's - 560 calories.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,889 Member
    aokoye wrote: »
    I don't eat fast food for a lot of reasons (save for when I'm in Europe and I can doner kebab...). That said when I get food that takes a similar amount of time as fast casual it's typically chicken shawarma from a really good Lebanese grocery store near my house (it's actually only two blocks farther away than the closest fast food restaurant) or a stir-fry from the local not Whole Foods which is also very close to my house.

I also am a fan of many of the food carts that are in Portland.

Mmm, there were so many better close options for take out when I lived in South Florida, including shawarma. There also were a lot more Thai restaurants and they were cheaper, too.

We do have McD, BK, and Wendy's, but those don't interest me. I make better burgers and chicken at home.

My OH often values convenience over taste, and that's fine.
  • Ducks47
    Ducks47 Posts: 131 Member
    If I'm busy then it is what is near me... Maybe Subway or Tim Hortons or a local cafe. It's harder to know calories in restaurant food though. I am pretty well acquainted with the Tim Hortons chili. Super high sodium though. Or I get the lunch BLT on an all dressed bagel. I try to avoid mayo at Subway and stick to things like mustard and avoid the donuts and sugary drinks at Tims. I find it helpful to keep nuts, bars in my bag in case I get hungry. I've also become super good at FAST meals. For example- seasoning, can of beans or some grounded beef, microwave rice, and frozen veg and BAM dinner in like 5 minutes. Or an egg sandwich.
  • bjkoziara
    bjkoziara Posts: 158 Member
    I'm a big fan of ordering food at work because I like cooking but hate doing it just for me, and my husband and I work opposite schedules. Panera is my go-to, specifically the Green Goddess Cobb Salad. It has lots of protein and good fats and the dressing is delicious (I only use half of what they give you). Their salads are great and when you order online you can customize to your heart's desire.

If I'm really, really craving Chick Fil A, it's grilled nuggets and a fruit cup.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    edited May 2019
    I try to bring my lunch most of the time, but there are lots of options, including but not limited to: Freshii salad, Protein Bar salad, Pret soup or wrap or some other options, the Med salad at a local Med/Middle Eastern place, a poke salad option, local salad bar with make your own salads, turkey sandwich at Potbellys, salad at one of the noodle places like Noodles Etc., or in a pinch a fajita bowl at Chipotle. All of those places (but for the salad bar, but I can figure that out easily enough) have nutrition information, so I'm comfortable I know what I'm choosing and unlike dinner if I have to have lunch out that's what I go with.

On the other hand, there's a doner kebab place here that has a cart, and I've been wanting to try them, so I would deal with no cals to do so should I happen to notice them around on a day I want to buy lunch: https://www.donermen.com/ (They were at our Christmas market this past year, which is near my office, but I never ended up getting lunch over there since I hate crowds and lines.)
  • kenyonhaff
    kenyonhaff Posts: 1,377 Member
    Favorites:

* Rotisserie chicken - delicious, high protein, cheap, can make multiple meals. Grab a prepackaged salad. Boom! Done!
    * McDonald's grilled chicken sandwich - no FRIES!
    * McDonald's Sante Fe salad - use 1/2 of dressing!
    * Sushi - my grocery stores and Trader Joe's has decent sushi which often is lower calorie than the salads.
    * Prepackaged salad - Trader Joe's is pretty good.
    * Panera - 1/2 sandwich
    * Wendy's - baked potato - seriously!
    * Taco Bell - there's a Protein Burrito (forget the exact name) it's a bit higher calorie but very high in protein.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    I eat fast food once or twice a week. My go-tos currently...

Steak & Shake: triple steakburger, no cheese - lettuce, tomato, pickle, onion & mustard.
    McDonald's: McDouble, half bun
    Arby's: regular roast beef, horsey sauce & half bun
    Local fast food Mexican place: bowl of refried beans with cheese & a black coffee, or 2 crunchy tacos
    Chipotle: steak or chicken burrito bowl, rice or beans but not both, pico de gallo & 1/2 serving sour cream but no cheese
    Burger King: Whopper, half bun, no mayo
    Mall food court: small falafel & boba tea (avocado or taro). Higher calorie than most of these options but IMO, worth it!
    Braum's: regular breakfast burrito w/ Greek yogurt for the side or their "Kids Meal": jr. burger with no cheese & tiny milkshake...I get Greek yogurt for the side instead of fries and save for breakfast the next day
    Taco Bell: mini beefy quesadilla (I get two of these if it's for an actual meal and not just a snack)
    Local steakhouse quick lunch: 2 piece catfish with collard greens, served with 2 types of bread but I don't eat it.

I also really like Dominos pasta primavera bowl but it's difficult for me to trust the calorie count at around 540 so I usually log it as 700-ish.