Is this correct?

Options
Since I started in Feb my calories have been set for 1490. I just noticed today it is now set for 1390. It’s been set for 1 pound a week since I’m almost to my goal. Is it supposed to go down in calories like that

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,969 Member
    edited May 2019
    Options
    You can recalculate in MY HOME > Goals > View Guided Setup

https://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/change_goals_guided

The calculation will decrease when you lose weight, it takes fewer calories to maintain or lose weight as you get smaller.

How much weight have you lost? 1000 calorie difference is quite a jump.

It will change based on your chosen rate of weight loss, too. (So, "Lose 1.5 pound per week," will give you 250 calories less than, "Lose 1 pound per week.") If you haven't changed your loss rate, then it's likely just your pounds loss total or you may have inadvertently changed something in your profile/Goals.

Do a reset using that link I gave you. Check that all your input is correct.
  • bmayhew32571
    bmayhew32571 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    It was originally set at 1.5 loss per week at 1490, now it is set to 1 pound a week at 1390. I started out in Feb at 173 an I’m now st 155, my goal is 145. I would have thought the calories would have gone up not down
  • cmriverside
    Options
    It was originally set at 1.5 loss per week at 1490, now it is set to 1 pound a week at 1390. I started out in Feb at 173 an I’m now st 155, my goal is 145. I would have thought the calories would have gone up not down

Since you are so close to Goal Weight, you don't have a lot to play with, calorie-wise.

Set your Goal at "Lose 1/2 pound per week." Eat that amount and add back Exercise calories and eat those too.

You don't mention your height or gender, but I'm 5'7" and I lost from 170 to 140 on about 1500 + Exercise calories. That meant that on most days I was eating 1500-2000 calories. I'm not working, and I don't have a lot of housework (small condo.) So try resetting your Goal.
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    edited May 2019
    Options

You lose weight more slowly the less you have to lose. I only have 15 pounds to lose and MFP gave me 1200 calories to lose half a pound a week. (I’m 5’4” and older). I changed it to 1300 and I eat back all my exercise cals.

• cmriverside
    Options
    Also, check to make sure your age, height and gender are correct in that Goals link. Set to imperial or metric could make a difference too - if something is entered wrong.