FATIGUE!!

Hey,

Does anyone have any advice or experience with major fatigue after a good work out? I'm relatively new to fitness and this fatigue is making it really hard to stay on track. It's lasting up to 4 date and I feel very weak and no energy.

Any advice would be really appreciated!

Replies

• LucillelSmith
    LucillelSmith Posts: 3 Member
    I'm eating enough calories, about 2000. Last had a check up late last year and everything was fine. Is it abnormal? I wondered whether it was just because I'm new to it all.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Being a bit tired after a good workout is one thing, but fatigue for 4 days is a lot. When you look at your diary, are you eating low carb? Are you getting enough electrolytes? Are you getting enough hydration?
  • LucillelSmith
    LucillelSmith Posts: 3 Member
    It's quite balanced so carbs shouldn't be an issue but electrolytes maybe. I'll keep track of those this week and see if they help. I think consulting the doctor may be my next port of call if it continues. Thanks for your help!
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Can you give a few examples of workouts that you're doing?
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,668 Member
    Dehydration is a possibility.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    aokoye wrote: »
    Can you give a few examples of workouts that you're doing?

This would be my first poke.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,724 Member
    You're not doing "HIIT" (or something called that), are you?
  • Jaynerose626
    Jaynerose626 Posts: 31 Member
    Do you know much about stress and inflammation? I find if I've eaten something that's inflammatory to my body such as dairy or something else has stressed me out on top of everything else my body goes into a fatigue like state that disrupts everything else in an overly excessive amount. So even if I've exercised and eaten adequately the results can be curved to that excessive fatigue state due to stress or inflammation of the body.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,249 Member
    I'm eating enough calories, about 2000. Last had a check up late last year and everything was fine. Is it abnormal? I wondered whether it was just because I'm new to it all.

How much sleep are you getting?
  • Phirrgus
    Phirrgus Posts: 1,902 Member

This was my first thought. Even after lifting/exercising for some time I still get a workout "high" now and then and push a bit too far for my own good. Couple that with insomnia and I generally feel fatigued anywhere 2-4 days after.

Proper sleep, calorie amount, following a good program...all key for me. Sticking to it rigorously can be the tricky part at times.
  • mumblemagic
    mumblemagic Posts: 1,090 Member
    Phirrgus wrote: »

This was my first thought. Even after lifting/exercising for some time I still get a workout "high" now and then and push a bit too far for my own good. Couple that with insomnia and I generally feel fatigued anywhere 2-4 days after.

Proper sleep, calorie amount, following a good program...all key for me. Sticking to it rigorously can be the tricky part at times.

I find this too. I read Matthew Walker's "Why we sleep" - so useful. When you exercise your body temperature and heart rate can stay raised for a couple of hours, which stops you from sleeping. Since I've been exercising earlier, it's been easier to sleep. I also didn't realise that "7-8" hours per night sleep actually means 8-8.5 hours in bed, because of time to get to sleep, waking up in the night for a wee etc.

/ramble over
  • lollie1285
    lollie1285 Posts: 239 Member
    I get fatigued after tough HIIT but never for more than an afternoon or a day after - and usually not the whole day. For me, it’s an endurance thing. How long have you been exercising like that for? Could be you’re just pushing yourself too much and haven’t yet built up the endurance for it. Make sure you’re hydrating, eating enough (I am on a 2k calorie diet and cut out nothing, I just eat in moderation). Sleep is also important like mentioned above.