sickness and eating habits

I am currently down for the count with a major cold. When I'm sick like this I want to eat everything in sight especially chocolate and crunchy foods. Anyone have food suggestions to help with the munchies but also stick to a healthier diet? I've been trying to munch on mixed nuts and pickles or cheese instead of going for chips and chocolate bars but more suggestions would be welcome.

Replies

• Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,533 Member
    Go for crunchy and sweet, an apple! Carrots, celery, cucumbers, red peppers dipped in a yogurt-based dressing. What about yogurt for something sweet, I usually buy plain Greek and mix in cinnamon and a packet of Splenda. Popcorn air popped is lower calorie. Pretzels aren't too high calorie-wise. Hope you feel better soon!
  • bluesheeponahill
    bluesheeponahill Posts: 169 Member
    Tic tacs!
  • staticsplit
    staticsplit Posts: 538 Member
    I usually up to maintenance when I'm ill, because I figure it'll help my body recover faster.

I like caramel rice cakes with peanut butter and banana. Or stewed apples with cinnamon and skyr/yoghurt/maybe some almonds.
  • Maxxitt
    Maxxitt Posts: 1,281 Member
    With a major cold, I can't taste much of anything and I think that adds to the hungries. Hot broth, well salted, seems to help me a little. But if I have that cold when it's hot out, I turn to cold, crunchy apples (good luck finding good ones that time of year, though on the bright side, even if they're tasteless, how will I know? lmao) Salty and sweet tastes seems to not go away. Hope you feel better soon!
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Allow yourself to eat maintenance while you have a cold. Also, I would allow yourself some treats if it helps you mentally. If you are between try to eat something lower calorie first and try to eat your treat food really slowly so you can enjoy it without going overboard on calories.

Take care of yourself and feel better.
  • mumblemagic
    mumblemagic Posts: 1,090 Member
    Your body needs the calories to fuel your immune system. You can give yourself a total break, or you can eat healthily but not limit your calories.

I really like poached egg on wholemeal, soups, breaded fish and sauteed veg, and hot spicy rice dishes when I have cold. Make sure there's plenty of veg and you'll be fine :-)
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,883 Member
    Because it's hard to taste anything when I'm sick, and because my sinuses and throat love it, I have what feels like gallons of spicy Asian soup when I'm sick. I also have loads of tea. Because of this semi-liquid diet, I tend to lose weight when sick.