Why is running so uncomfortable?

Options
A few years ago I used to be able to run at a 9 minute pace. It took a few months to get my pace that fast, but it dropped pretty easily from a 12 min mile. Right now, I can't seem to go faster than a 13 min mile and I can't even run a mile straight. I can do maybe 2 laps in a row. I am about 20 lbs heavier than I was a few years ago when I had a better pace. Could 20 lbs really make that big of a difference? I've always hated the way running makes me feel, especially when I haven't done it in a while. I usually get a really bad tightness in my chest, and my heart rate goes up extremely high, close to 200. The hardest thing for me is the breathing though. I get really short of breath, which I know is normal when running, but I figured it would get better and it's not at all. Even after running now for 2+ months.

Does anyone have any breathing techniques they can share? Or maybe a program to follow that helps?

Replies

• vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    I always did my ABCs and multiplication tables in my head to pace myself. If things were going rough, I would start saying it out loud to get my pace in check. Another option is to pick music to listen to while running that has the same beat of the pace you are needing to run and work with that for a while. Form is important while running too. Try pretending you are in a queue where there are ropes on both sides of you and have your arms reaching out to 'pull' on the ropes to keep you going forward. That can help keep your arms and shoulders more relaxed and your form better for running.
  • grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,154 Member
    Options
    The weight isn't helping, but honestly, the time is probably the biggest factor. I was in the same boat as you at the beginning of the year. I ran a Tough Mudder (12 mile obstacle race) a few years ago, then stopped running for a few years. When I started up again, I did the Couch to 5k program I had done the first time I started running, and I was incredibly depressed at how slow and hard even the short beginning mileage was. You lose running shape pretty quick when you take a break from it (one article I was reading about how to take a break for surgery recovery) recommended picking up where you left off if you took a week or less off, but redoing a week of training for each week after you were off beyond that and restarting from the beginning if it was a month or more. For me, the trick with breathing has always been to think about it. Take slow, deep breaths, especially when your body wants to take quick, shallow breaths.
    How often are you running? Are you following any sort of plan, or just winging it? What kind of distances are you running?
  • pierinifitness
    pierinifitness Posts: 2,231 Member
    Options
    Drop the 20 lbs. and have a sensible running workout program with measured distance and speed progressions and you’ll run easier, longer and faster like you used to and perhaps currently desire.
  • steveholak
    steveholak Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    You shouldn't go any faster than a comfortable conversational pace if you're running for fitness; if you decide to race a half year or a year down the road then there are other paces to cultivate and recruit other muscle fibers and body systems for going faster. Stop looking at the pace, and just run a comfortable 20-30 minutes 3-4 times / week. And yes, weight and pace are linearly related; going from 180 to 200 lbs is easily going to slow you down a minute or two a mile. Try carrying a bowling ball and see what that does to your pace and effort.

Again, forget pace and go by feel, burn calories and get your cardiovascular system healthy. Speed doesn't make you healthier; time on your feet in an aerobic zone will improve your health and fitness.
  • kenyonhaff
    kenyonhaff Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    * Increased weight makes it VERY hard to run. Even 5 lbs can make a difference in effort.
    * Get a heart rate monitor and make sure you are in the right aerobic range for you--check the aerobic rate chart. If you're working too hard you aren't getting the full benefits of running while increasing your risk of injury.
    * Check with your doctor for asthma--it can hit any time in life. Doesn't mean you have to stop running if you do.
  • Lolinloggen
    Lolinloggen Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    I sugest a medical check up
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    edited May 2019
    Options
    I felt the same way as you. I felt I wanted to prove that I could run. I hadn't run in over 2 decades when I started (in my 40s) and I was obese when I began.

It took me personally around 6 months before I could honestly say it wasn't a truly miserable experience. Listen to what others have said, go slower! If it feels awful, go slower until it doesn't.

I went from 100 steps feeling like I was dying to running 7/8 mile highly technical trail races over around 5 years. I don't run any more (chronic runner's knee that just wouldn't go away plus I'm getting pretty old and took up rowing and found I liked it more). Running, like any endurance cardio (rowing is the same) is baby steps. Over a year, it's huge improvement. Over years, even more. A month or two is nothing. Running on trails was my "zen". I absolutely loved it. Nothing like being four or five miles along on a trail with no one around you but nature. It's like nothing else. I found the dirt helped me a lot with the inflammation/pounding.

Never run injured and only go 10% more per week at most. Take rest days and go slow enough to where it's challenging but not hurting.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    You need to come to grips with your fitness level. Everyone has said it, but let me just encourage you not to give up, but instead to do fast walking and/or walk/run intervals, keeping it reasonably comfortable at all times. Your HR is getting way too high and it's not only uncomfortable: it could be dangerous. Speaking to a doctor is not a bad idea, particularly if you have any health issues that you know of.

You can use the C35K app (zen labs), which goes through a sequence of walk/run workouts leading up to a 5K. If you decide to use it, I suggest doing it at your own pace, stay with a particular workout as long as you need to master it. Drop back if you need to. It took me 6 months to get through it.

Try an easier exercise like elliptical or bicycle. Both are way easier to "throttle back" than running.

And, most of all, remember to enjoy your exercise. Invite friends or join a group. It is finally spring!
  • emmamcgarity
    emmamcgarity Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    Definitely time to see the doctor. The tightness in your chest sounds how my chest feels when I am having trouble with my asthma. But your heart rate at 200 sounds like you are running too fast for your current fitness level. If it is asthma, that doesn’t necessarily mean you can’t run. I recently completed c25k. The first few weeks I used my inhaler ahead of time. It helped a lot. The weather was colder and it’s not unusual for cold weather and/or exercise to cause issues. And in the warmer months the pollen in the air can give me trouble again. After you have been checked out by the doc and been cleared to exercise... Run SLOWLY. REALLY SLOWLY. And follow a structured program like c25k. Repeat any of the runs as needed. The recovery walk breaks built into the program help you build your fitness to be able to run longer. Running longer after a few months will naturally help you get faster. But right now, you need to survive the run. So... to the doctor first.
  • brittanystebbins95
    brittanystebbins95 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    20 lbs can make a HUGE difference.
    Just keep at it, it will get easier. You just have to stay consistent with it.
    When I first started, I could only run like 4 minutes at a time. I was at like a 11 minute mile pace during the times I was actually running. And my heart rate? It was usually at like 220.
    Now, I can run 4-5 miles at a time, at a pace of 8-10 minutes per mile, depending on the day. And my heart rate rarely goes above 170-180.
    You'll get there! Its uncomfortable because your body is not used to it.
  • MADDIESMOMMY6611
    MADDIESMOMMY6611 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    To answer a few people's questions--I am running during my crossfit classes. We usually do 200 to 400m at a time. Burpees and running are the two things in a crossfit workout that make me feel like I can't breathe. I do 3 workouts a week at crossfit and at least two of them will have running involved. In addition, I walk at a 3.5/mph pace on my days off, which doesn't bother me at all. I can usually get up to 4/mph without feeling the tightness in my chest. It's just that I've been keeping this pace for months now and not seeing improvement when I step it up.

Maybe I do have asthma. I think that's my first step. Otherwise, it could be the added weight.
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    To answer a few people's questions--I am running during my crossfit classes. We usually do 200 to 400m at a time. Burpees and running are the two things in a crossfit workout that make me feel like I can't breathe. I do 3 workouts a week at crossfit and at least two of them will have running involved. In addition, I walk at a 3.5/mph pace on my days off, which doesn't bother me at all. I can usually get up to 4/mph without feeling the tightness in my chest. It's just that I've been keeping this pace for months now and not seeing improvement when I step it up.

Maybe I do have asthma. I think that's my first step. Otherwise, it could be the added weight.

Context. It makes a big difference. I feel like my lungs may explode from my chest when I do 200 or 400 meter repeats. That's because I'm going 110% (at least that's how it feels). This is much different from long distance running.

I still say slow down some until your body adapts.

Good luck.
  • sugarmaddy_
    sugarmaddy_ Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    For the breathing issue: I’ve always had issues and had to mouth breathe when I ran. I recently got checked out by an ENT and it turns out I have a deviated septum and can only breathe out of one side of my face. MORAL OF THE STORY: Go to a doctor. They will find things you were never looking for.
  • kenyonhaff
    kenyonhaff Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    apullum wrote: »
    Uncomfortable because it works

This mindset gets people injured.

Well, "No pain, no gain" will get people injured. In working out you do have to endure some discomfort...sore muscles, for instance after a challenging workout. But not pain.