Breastfeeding

Options
I just had a baby 3 weeks ago (c section) can’t do any intense exercise yet however I have been out and about walking etc since week one with baby. Guess my question is, my milk supply is about established and ready to start getting back to my goal weight. Does anyone have any idea how many extra calories you burn making breast milk? I don’t want to under eat because it will ruin my milk supply but the first step is have an idea of how many extra calories I will need to lose a healthy amount of weight and not excessive. Any help is appreciated. Thank you!

Replies

• meganpettigrew86
    meganpettigrew86 Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Cal burnt = (oz of milk x 20)/0.8 - basal
    Basal = 300cal (0-4 months), 400cal (4-5 months), 500cal (6months +).
    The formula is an estimate, but you need to estimate your baby's consumption by weighing before and after a feed, or expressing into a bottle yo see how much they drink, or Google average consumption.
  • ahayes7407
    ahayes7407 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thank you! Looks like I will need to buy a baby scale, but nothing to drastic haha.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,964 Member
    Options
    ahayes7407 wrote: »
    Thank you! Looks like I will need to buy a baby scale, but nothing to drastic haha.

Can't you just step onto the scale you use for yourself holding the baby, and then step on without the baby?
  • ExistingFish
    ExistingFish Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    Supply doesn't regulate until closer to 12 weeks.

My estimates:
    Exclusive breastfeeding (no solids) 800 calories
    Starting solids but still breastfeeding: 500 calories
    Still breastfeeding but mostly solids/drinking other fluids: 250-300 calories.

Generally 0-6 months, 800. 6-9-12 months, 500. 9-12-18-24 (wide variety of ages) 300.
  • ahayes7407
    Options

Can't you just step onto the scale you use for yourself holding the baby, and then step on without the baby?

I don’t use a digital so no way to track ounces. Guess it would be cheaper though to just buy myself a digital lol.
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
  • ahayes7407
    Options

My estimates:

Generally 0-6 months, 800. 6-9-12 months, 500. 9-12-18-24 (wide variety of ages) 300.

Hmm my Lactaction consultant told me to hold off giving him a paci so my supple could regulate until 3 weeks, figured that meant it was the same for dieting. Thank you! I will double check with her.
    (My little guy went from 7lbs8oz to 9lbs12oz in one week 🤣
    I’m pretty sure I have an oversupply so have been taking advantage and pumping as well.)
  • NovemberSkye
    NovemberSkye Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Is that your baby in the pic! So stinking cute!! I just finished nursing my 3rd baby (to 18 months). I have never attempted to lose weight while nursing because I've been terrified of messing with my supply, but the weight has always come off slowly on it's own. Maybe give yourself some time (3-6 months) without dieting and see what your body does before you get back into it. Best of luck! And Congrats!
  • ExistingFish
    ExistingFish Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options

My estimates:

Hmm my Lactaction consultant told me to hold off giving him a paci so my supple could regulate until 3 weeks, figured that meant it was the same for dieting. Thank you! I will double check with her.
    (My little guy went from 7lbs8oz to 9lbs12oz in one week 🤣
    I’m pretty sure I have an oversupply so have been taking advantage and pumping as well.)

Pumping increases oversupply, it's a vicious cycle. You pump because you have lots of milk, but pumping, especially when you are just establishing your supply, will lead to more milk production.

I had massive oversupply with my first, he was a preemie and I had to pump when he was in the NICU. Despite not pumping almost at all with my next two children, I still had oversupply (although not as bad). You don't want oversupply, it isn't just "more of a good thing is a good thing". It causes digestive difficulties for the baby, green poop, gas, bloating, etc.

The holding off on the paci is so that the baby will develop the habit of nursing for comfort, which helps your supply, not because the first 3 weeks are the most important for regulating supply, it's about your baby's habit development.