Road trip food

Options
StargazerB
StargazerB Posts: 425 Member
I'm going to visit family soon. It is a 13 hour drive and we do it straight through with only bathroom stops and maybe one restaurant. I have my husband and three kids (ages 5-10) traveling with me. I need ideas for food that is fun to eat but not going to totally kill my diet. I need easy and not messy food. I mean my kids are going to make a mess anyway so I'd like to limit it as much as possible. TIA!

Replies

• puffbrat
    puffbrat Posts: 2,806 Member
    Options
    Fruit, cut up veggies, cheese, nuts, deli meat, applesauce pouches, crackers.

For trips, I like to pre-portion my snacks and put them in bags with labels for grams/calories. That is the easiest way for me to stay on track while traveling.
  • puffbrat
    puffbrat Posts: 2,806 Member
    Options
    And popcorn
  • cathiaflock
    cathiaflock Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Hello! I am going to be in the same boat in 10 days going on a 20 hour road trip with my hubby and cat. I'm going to take water in our cooler and so i can drink my protein shakes. I haven't figured out what other stuff to store that we would actually eat. Nuts would be a good idea and possibly deli meats too.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    Juice boxes with a good dose of Nyquil.

I'd probably go with what @puffbrat suggests. Are you taking a cooler? Maybe some pinwheel sandwiches if you are.
  • RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    Options
    Hardboiled eggs are also yummy. If you can bring a cooler that really opens up some options in regards to cheese, light deli meats, etc. Also make sure to bring lots to drink because sometimes I feel the need to eat on the road just because I'm bored, and drinking something gives me that "thing" to do.