Macros - fat versus protein

Options
thegigz
thegigz Posts: 3 Member
It seems to hit my protein goal a always go over on fat. Is that normal? If so should I focus on hitting the protein goal (trying to build mass) or stop once fat goal is hit?

Replies

• NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    It is generally okay to ignore fat unless you are eating too little or you have an adverse reaction to eating too much of it.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    Assuming no medical conditions, there's nothing wrong with going over on fat. :smile:
  • thegigz
    thegigz Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I do have an adverse reaction to fat. It all lands on my stomach. Lol
  • Commander_Keen
    Commander_Keen Posts: 1,181 Member
    Options
    It could be normal, depending on what you eat/drink.
    for example, coffee creamer, No protein, but has fat.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    thegigz wrote: »
    I do have an adverse reaction to fat. It all lands on my stomach. Lol

I'm assuming you are joking but fat doesn't make you fat. If you are in calorie deficit or at maintenance, fat won't go to your stomach.

That being said, fat is the macro most easily stored as fat in a surplus. In a deficit or at maintenance, you aren't storing fat no matter what you are eating. There is a certain amount needed for proper hormonal function but beyond that, it is not necessary to have more. My question would be what are your primary protein choices that are upping your fat intake?

I get around 140 to 150 grams per day while keeping my fat around 50 or 60 grams most days. I supplement with whey protein powder, fat free. I eat lean meats, fish, some legumes...none of these have much fat. FTR, I am at 185 lbs right now. So, 60 grams is enough. There are occasional days with more.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    I agree with others that going over on fat doesn't matter, but if you are in particular finding that your proteins are combined with lots of fat you could try eating leaner protein sources.
  • kyra447
    kyra447 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Going over in fats is ok. I would say just make sure it’s an even split if the fat between mono, saturated and poly.