Calories burned from standing?

Options
Hi all,

As a rough estimate, how many calories would one burn per hour from standing up?

Regards

Replies

• Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    0.1kcal per minute for women and 0.19kcal per minute for men.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/29385357

Thanks for asking, which led me to find such an authoritative paper!
  • Mov3mor3
    Mov3mor3 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I don't know the calculations, but if you are morbidly obese you will burn a lot more calories than a smaller person. I will tell you that standing up burns a lot more calories than sitting on the couch.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,058 Member
    Options
    After41 wrote: »
    I don't know the calculations, but if you are morbidly obese you will burn a lot more calories than a smaller person. I will tell you that standing up burns a lot more calories than sitting on the couch.

The METS calculation above is based on RMR, and RMR estimates vary with body size, so weight is factored into that one.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    After41 wrote: »

Not as many as you would think, according to the paper I found. Your joints might get tired and sore from it, but your muscles are just barely working when you stand still (relative to walking, for example).
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    If you're asking about a standing desk, juststand.org.
  • Tedebearduff
    Tedebearduff Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    Hi all,

As a rough estimate, how many calories would one burn per hour from standing up?

Regards

This doesn't count as excersie and your daily activity goal would dictate this kind of thing. Like if you work a cash register all day ... I would be slightly active... I once saw someone log reading as a caloric burn ....