Eat Exercise calories or not

Options

Replies

• WholeFoods4Lyfe
    WholeFoods4Lyfe Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
    Totally a personal decision. For me personally, it really depends on the day. If I'm particularly hungry, I'll eat them, but at most I'll usually do only half.
  • sammidelvecchio
    sammidelvecchio Posts: 791 Member
    Options
    @Northcascades not eating my exercise calories Sunday-Friday actually does give ME the freedom to have a Saturday where I can eat more calories and still make my weekly weight goal. So I'm not sure what you're trying to say.
  • Spike_G
    Spike_G Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I usually eat most of not all of my exercise calories back but I don't fret if I don't. I also gauge it on how hungry I feel, sometimes I'm just not particularly hungry so I won't force myself to eat.
    If I know I'm going out for a meal I may well save a few up too.*

There is the issue of how accurate those estimates are as well. Especially if you're using a fitbit etc. So I do tend to err on the side of caution with an eye on my weekly weigh in.(Losing too much too quickly is never a good thing.)

* currently enjoying a half bottle of wine.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    @Theoldguy1 @NorthCascades Yes, which is exactly what I said up above. I don't eat them back daily, I sometimes eat them back on Saturdays. I'm not sure why what I am saying is confusing you or why you feel the need to re-explain what I've already stated. The OP said should I eat them back each day, my answer is you can or you can play around with it and find a flexible approach that works the same way.

And I can call it "eating them back on Saturday" instead of "banking." I explained what I meant pretty clearly. Also, I don't eat all of them back, not even close. I'd say I eat back roughly 25% of them and some weeks I don't eat any back.

It's because you said you don't eat yours back 95% of the time, and advocated not eating them. I'm glad to hear you're more sensible than that. :smile:
  • Jadu786
    Jadu786 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback everyone - I will use what I need and save the rest.
  • sammidelvecchio
    sammidelvecchio Posts: 791 Member
    Options
    @kshama2001 the percentages refer to different things in the context of the sentence.

95% of my life since i've started trying to lose weight I have not eaten the calories back. That leaves 5% of the time that I do. That can be split across the days where I am feeling hungrier or more tired than usual, but as I said those days are rare. The other portion of that is some weeks on Saturday I eat a portion of the calories back, which I stated is around 25% of my total exercise calories for the week not just that day. I did not negate the original notion that 95% of the time I am not eating the exercise calories back.