"Cutting" advice without sacrificing weights.

Options
Hello! I'm looking for advice for how to "cut" and shed a couple of pounds.

I have been weight lifting for a year after ditching cardio and went from 134 to 140 pounds, also gained a great amount of muscle and have become toned, but obviously am carrying some trouble areas of fat. I'm super happy with my body and muscle but want some advice for how to cut fat without implementing too much cardio and sacrificing weight lifting? I ask this because I hate cardio and HIIT. I've tried the past 3 weeks to incorporate it into my routine but can't seem to make myself do it. I love weight lifting too much, and my current routine is push, legs, pull, legs, full body, off.

Do any of you have recommendations for how to cut without ditching too much weight lifting? I'm about to start focusing on MFP again for calorie counting, but is that enough? Should I suck it up and just do the HIIT? I'm only a year and a half into working out so I'm still a novice in the cutting world.

Thanks for the advice,
Kalei

Replies

• Justin_7272
    Justin_7272 Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Ditto on the min .8-1g protein per GW min (I've also heard 1g per LBM, which generally aligns with .8 GW). Keeping protein up during cutting is key to reduce muscle loss v fat loss.

You should continue to lift, hopefully without a reduction in weight, reps, etc. This will also help minimalize muscle loss.

Good luck - keep us posted!
  • monaraehill2
    monaraehill2 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I'm just the opposite, I LOVE cardio and HATE weight lifting. I found that the tabata/zumba routines were really FUN as well as hard enough work to put me in an aerobic/anaerobic one to one, pattern. Kiera (sp?) Leshae (team Leshae) Dance Move Werk is great for this! I had to scroll through YouTube to find a bunch that would work, though! It's where I stumbled upon her....plus I found a 50 minute compilation of Zumba. Not sure if it's hard enough for you, but thought I'd put it out there!
  • Maxxitt
    Maxxitt Posts: 1,281 Member
    edited May 2019
    Options
    Keep lifting. Eat at a slight deficit but maintain current protein amount. https://bodyrecomposition.com/training/weight-training-for-fat-loss-part-2.html/
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Slight deficit and keep lifting. Any cardio can be LISS. You'll lean out nicely but don't get impatient. Leaning out takes time.
  • xxzenabxx
    xxzenabxx Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    Follow the advice as above so follow a 250 calorie deficit. I just wanted to add if you hate hiit then don’t it! Maybe try upping your steps? That’s what I do. I aim for a minimum of 10000 steps a day. Basically walking could be a good addition to your routine. You can also do yoga/Pilates on your rest days.