Keto Veggies

Options
Hi, I’ve been doing keto for a few weeks now but keep going over on my carbs because of veggies!! Instead of cheese and crackers yesterday I ate cucumber slices and it logged 6 carbs, which is a lot for a snack... same thing with broccoli and kale. I usually make about a cup but it’s really adding up! I do look at net carbs but even still it’s always what puts me over. Are my veggie portion sizes super off? Anyone else having this problem?

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    edited May 2019
    Options
    Hi, I’ve been doing keto for a few weeks now but keep going over on my carbs because of veggies!! Instead of cheese and crackers yesterday I ate cucumber slices and it logged 6 carbs, which is a lot for a snack... same thing with broccoli and kale. I usually make about a cup but it’s really adding up! I do look at net carbs but even still it’s always what puts me over. Are my veggie portion sizes super off? Anyone else having this problem?

According to the USDA database entry for cucumber, with peel, raw, you'd have to eat 1.6 cups of cucumbers to get 6 g of carbs, and that is gross carbs, not net.

I suggest you do two things:
    1. Get a digital food scale and weigh in grams rather than using measuring cups.
    2. Use entries from the USDA database.

Unfortunately, the "verified" green check marks in the MFP database are used for both user-created entries and admin-created entries that MFP pulled from the USDA database. To find admin entries for whole foods, I get the syntax from the USDA database and paste that into MFP.

Note: any MFP entry that includes "USDA" was user entered.

For packaged foods, I verify the label against what I find in MFP.
  • OooohToast
    OooohToast Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

According to the USDA database entry for cucumber, with peel, raw, you'd have to eat 1.6 cups of cucumbers to get 6 g of carbs, and that is gross carbs, not net.

I suggest you do two things:
    1. Get a digital food scale and weigh in grams rather than using measuring cups.
    2. Use entries from the USDA database.

Unfortunately, the "verified" green check marks in the MFP database are used for both user-created entries and admin-created entries that MFP pulled from the USDA database. To find admin entries for whole foods, I get the syntax from the USDA database and paste that into MFP.

Note: any MFP entry that includes "USDA" was user entered.

For packaged foods, I verify the label against what I find in MFP.

Yeap ! I would deffo weigh my portions and remember to monitor net carbs. Veggies are absolutely necessary with keto imo - others to try include our good friend cauliflower, swiss chard and spinach. I find spinach in particular to be a bulky and filling low carb veggie eat :)