Replies

• musicsax
    musicsax Posts: 4,302 Member
    Options
    ROUND 78 (Round 20 for me)
    5’4 ½” 67 y/o Texas Lady
    SW 178 lb.
    Goal: Maintain between 135 and 140 lb. and increase muscle mass
    I started Round 54 and Keto WOE on September 24, 2018.
    Cumulative weight loss for Rounds 54-70 = 44 lb.
    I started and finished the last round below my maintenance range. I like the keto WOE and, mostly, stick to that, but I add extra carbs when I’m under 135.

Day/Weight/Comment
    05/23 134.4 Ten days go by so quickly! Yesterday, I did a 3.5 mile walk with my dog, Thor, in the morning and strength training in the afternoon. Today was a rest day, and I played Canasta with friends. My shoulders were sore today, so I’m glad it was a rest day.
    05/24 134.2 Thor and I walked about 3.5 miles today. We jogged about a half mile of it, only up-hill and flat areas—no down-hill. My knee isn’t bothering me now, the orthotics have relieved the Morton’s Neuroma problem in my toes, and I’m pretty sure I can work up to running again. I miss running 5K and 10K races. I’m sticking with the strength training, too, and that helps my knees.
    05/25 132.6 Part of this drop is because we didn’t get to bed until 3 a.m., and I didn’t get up until almost 11:30! A late start makes for a short day. Tonight, I don’t plan to stay up that late. I haven’t don’t today’s cardio workout in my strength training program, so I’m about to do that. Tomorrow morning, I leave early to sing, with our gospel group, at a church in the area, so I’ll miss my own church service. Since I lead the singing at my church, I try not to miss very often. My sweet husband will take over tomorrow, but he’d rather just play his guitar and let me lead.
    05/26 134.6 I intended to go to bed early last night, but it was after 2 a.m., and up again at 6:30. (sigh) That always results in a higher scale number, but it’s still under maintenance, and I had a good day. The morning concert went well, and I took a nap before working in the yard. I didn’t get my strength training in, but tomorrow’s another day.
    Before dark yesterday, my husband brought Thor in and said Thor had alerted on a rattlesnake in the yard. My husband said he’d take care of it, so I continued with my cardio workout. A few minutes later, DH knocked on the back door and again on the front door before I could get to either, so I went out to look for him. I grabbed a hoe and heard the snake in the front yard before my husband showed up with a spade. Well, the rattlesnake waited for me to go back in the house and get my revolver loaded with snake shot, and I ended his threat to our tranquility. What I didn’t realize until later was that I was in the front yard, shooting a snake, while only wearing short shorts and a bra. Fortunately, we live in the country, and it’s possible only my husband saw me. Praise God, all is well.
    05/27 133.8 I said I was skipping my strength training workout last night, but, at 1 a.m., I just had to do it. This morning, 11 a.m., I completed my cardio and stretching workout. So, I’m still on track with my strength training program. I’m afraid if I give myself a break, I won’t stop with just one. That’s how I gained back the 40 pounds I had to lose again! I want to think I’ve learned my lesson. Time will tell. No walk for Thor this morning, since I was up until 4 a.m. and didn’t get out of bed this morning before it got too hot to take him for a long walk. I will do better tomorrow morning.
    05/28 135 Thor and I got a walk and some jogging in yesterday, but it was a busy day/evening. It was after midnight before I finished my Bible study, so I put off posting the study and my weight.
    05/29 133.8 I started the day with my strength training, delivered meals on wheels, then took my car in to repair a leaky tire. It seems I ran over a screw. The tire shop was close to a Home Depot, so I walked over and bought a rug so my shoes don’t slip on some of the exercises I’m doing. Today was the first day of my third week doing the Chalean Extreme strength training program. It’s not easy, but I already feeling stronger. Chalene Johnson teaches how to exercise (including squats and lunges) without hurting my knees. I appreciate that. About 10 years ago, I had to quit a boxercise class because I wasn’t taught that lesson, and my knees were killing me.
    05/30 134.4 I didn’t weigh this morning, because the electricity went out during the morning storm, and there wasn’t enough light to read the scale. I played cards with friends, had lunch, ran errands, took a nap, then decided to step on the scale. Now, it’s after midnight, so I need to get to bed so I can take Thor for an early walk before it gets too hot.
    05/31 134 I had a short night—rose early to take Thor for our walk/jog. I’m gradually increasing our jogging time. Still no knee or toe pain! I completed my strength training session, too. I hadn't checked my ketone level since I reached my goad and started allowing myself a few more carbs, but I decided to check, and I was still in the burn range at 0.6 mmol/L. Listening to the radio this morning, I heard a reference to a pit bull attack a few years ago on a 65 yr. old, “elderly” woman. I’m 67, but I’m not elderly! I have an active friend who's 85, still jogs, and she's not elderly, either! Some of us "mature" folks are more fit and can do more than a lot of teenagers. It's fun to surprise them.
    06/01

Here here, I agree, I'm 61 and nowhere near elderly; 31 with 40 years experience!! I walk 8 plus miles most days - weather and other commitments allowing, do yoga and am very active. I think "elderly" is s state of mind !!
  • quiltingjaine
    quiltingjaine Posts: 5,853 Member
    edited June 2019
    Options
    @FarmerCarla and @musicsax I agree. We live in an over 55 active adult community and there are some amazing not elderly folks here. One fellow is in his mid-80s, fighting cancer and still playing pickle ball. There are others doing similar things. Age is a number, elderly is a state of mind more than anything else, IMHO