Sodium, my enemy

Options
If I have a high sodium day of eating, my weight pops up but it is taking 5 to 6 days for the water weight to disappear. I do take diuretics, as prescribed by my doctor but there is no way the dose can be increased. Short of giving up my chips, sushi, Tim Hortons chili and other things I might have that is salty, what can I do?

Replies

• whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    Drink a ton of water.
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    Options
    In addition to drinking more water, spread out your sodium intake. I like chips and sushi (and GF subs), but I can’t have them all in one day.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,654 Member
    edited May 2019
    Options
    Is the desire to reduce sodium out of a concern about your water weight fluctuations or because of a concern about how the sodium may be affecting your health?

For the first, keep records so that you know what happened, but don't worry too much about it: it ain't fat.

If it is the second use your records to reduce your sodium consumption starting by cutting off sources you care less about. For example reduce or eliminate prepared or instant soups, or luncheon eats, pickles, or canned products.

Then keep pushing and expanding till you only consume sodium when you feel that the hit to your health is worth it.
  • lindamtuck2018
    lindamtuck2018 Posts: 9,510 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the insight. I do need to watch my salt intake a bit more. My hands, feet and ankles swell when my sodium intake is too high. My doctor is aware of this. I am definitely in a calorie deficit and I am losing weight at a fairly nice rate. I will increase my water intake on the days I have a higher sodium diet. I am on holidays for the month of June, so it is going to be harder to control the sodium in my food. I will definitely be drinking lots of water.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,392 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Thanks for all the insight. I do need to watch my salt intake a bit more. My hands, feet and ankles swell when my sodium intake is too high. My doctor is aware of this. I am definitely in a calorie deficit and I am losing weight at a fairly nice rate. I will increase my water intake on the days I have a higher sodium diet. I am on holidays for the month of June, so it is going to be harder to control the sodium in my food. I will definitely be drinking lots of water.

If you focus on whole foods more often, you will reduce sodium. But largely speaking, it's huge swing in sodium that cause water weight fluctuations. If you maintained a higher rate of sodium, you wouldn't see those changes as your kidney's aren't responding to various levels of sodium. The below video has a good explanation of sodium.

https://youtu.be/UbKk9tbNrfQ