Coffee = weight gain?

Hi all,
I gained about 45 lbs due to a pregnancy, medication and extreme stress. I have struggled big time to take any of it off and am investigating what may be holding me back. During the two years I gained I also became a daily coffee drinker (probably 2 cups a day, always black). I've always been sensitive to caffeine, but truly love drinking coffee so I just drink it in smaller amounts. Just today it occurred to me that daily caffeine may be holding back my weight loss efforts. Anyone see a change when they left caffeine behind? Thanks!

Replies

• autumnblade75
    autumnblade75 Posts: 1,660 Member
    Well, I tend to define black coffee as not having a lightener, but it doesn't describe anything about the sweetener - before we're so dismissive: are you drinking this black coffee with an excess of sugar? And it's not because I like to demonize the sweet stuff, either - but that's a source of calories that may be enough to influence weight.

If black coffee means you add absolutely nothing to your beans and water, then it's not the culprit.
  • Whitezombiegirl
    Whitezombiegirl Posts: 1,042 Member
    Im sensitive to caffine. It makes me hungry and tired and makes me retain water.

I switched to a pure chickory drink and while t doesn't taste like barrista coffee it tastes likes instant coffee to me. Plus its really cheap.
  • WandRsmom
    WandRsmom Posts: 253 Member
    I drink 1-3 cups of black ( no sweetener of any kind or milk etc) a day and always have. It helps keep me regular , haha and it has virtually zero Cal's.

I won't be giving it up any time soon. I agree with others, food intake is far more likely to be the culprit than coffee.
  • Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    the coffee alone isn't the cause. what you put in it could be but you can make that fit in your day. I never stopped drinking coffee but log the milk i put in them to account for the calories.
  • jdsass82
    jdsass82 Posts: 19 Member
    Coffee can have a lot of caffeine, which stimulates appetite for some people. That could be the reason.
  • texasredreb
    texasredreb Posts: 541 Member
    I drink 2-3 cups of coffee daily with pre-sweetened cream. I log both. I've lost 27lbs since 3/11. It's not the coffee. Unless you are drinking a very light roast (blonde) and/or filling your coffee basket full, you are likely not getting that much caffeine.
  • Redordeadhead
    Redordeadhead Posts: 1,188 Member
    Thanks, everyone. I am obviously tracking my food/exercise and am having no sugar in my coffee. I’ve also discussed my meds with my doctor. I ran into a few studies about excessive caffeine being a metabolic disruptor and raising blood sugar and cortisol for some people—I was curious if anyone had noticed a difference in their weight loss on or off caffeine.

are you weighing everything you eat though?? that is much more likely to be the problem here than black coffee.

This, along with tracking everything (no unlogged cheat days, missed weekends, untracked fruit/veg/condiments/drinks) and choosing accurate database entries.