To Caffeine or Not to Caffeine

suzanne6094
suzanne6094 Posts: 104 Member
Hello All

Ok so I am pretty sensitive to caffeine, yes, sadly so, don't drink coffee or any form of caffeine during the day (accept one cup of weak tea) and don't miss it.

The problem is I do use one teaspoon of coffee in my Whey Shake before my Jiu Jitsu classes, as it helps me with focus and endurance, it also helps with an appetite after training,

The only downfall is the wired brain. Tick Tock Tick Tock .... We finish training at 20:30.

I have also been slacking on my MFP daily calories count... It such a struggle just trying to eat enough calories in the day to maintain my weight..

Just looking forward to finding a balance so I have lasting energy... to move every day...

Replies

• psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    TO!
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    Ultimately caffeine is a personal choice. If you find it beneficial, you can keep having it. One tablespoon of coffee is a pretty small amount of caffeine. I am willing to guess that much of the perceived benefit you are getting from it might be a placebo affect.

You said it helps with appetite, and also that you are not getting enough calories through out the day. So you are saying that you feel like caffeine helps you eat more? How many calories are you eating per day versus what your goal is?

The best bet for energy and endurance throughout your workout is to up your calorie intake to match your energy needs. I train martial arts with zero caffeine intake. But I make sure I have enough calories to fuel myself.
  • suzanne6094
    sijomial wrote: »
    If you don't like feeling wired then skip the coffee or have decaf.

"It such a struggle just trying to eat enough calories in the day to maintain my weight.." - you don't fix that issue with stimulants.

If you ate enough during the day then maybe your training "focus and endurance" issue would go away. Perhaps try some carbs before exercise instead, protein shake is good for your protein intake but it's not fuel for your workout.

I have a vegan powder which is sweet potato and pea protein, called Gorilla Gainer, high in carbs, maybe should add a scoop of that into my shake,
  • suzanne6094
    MikePTY wrote: »
    Ultimately caffeine is a personal choice. If you find it beneficial, you can keep having it. One tablespoon of coffee is a pretty small amount of caffeine. I am willing to guess that much of the perceived benefit you are getting from it might be a placebo affect.

You said it helps with appetite, and also that you are not getting enough calories through out the day. So you are saying that you feel like caffeine helps you eat more? How many calories are you eating per day versus what your goal is?

The best bet for energy and endurance throughout your workout is to up your calorie intake to match your energy needs. I train martial arts with zero caffeine intake. But I make sure I have enough calories to fuel myself.

Its true what you say, I struggle to eat enough calories, esp since on the days I do BJJ it gives me that extra calories.

I am really super sensitive to caffeine its def not a placebo effect, the mind feels more alert and more energy but as you mentioned it is just "fake" energy really, which then would lead me depleted the next day.

People say just eat, get enough calories in but its hard when you are not a big eater and then try to consume all this food portions....

I do love my martial arts and will do anything to keep going.... but would want to do it in a healthy way..
  • Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    edited May 2019

People say just eat, get enough calories in but its hard when you are not a big eater and then try to consume all this food portions....

I do love my martial arts and will do anything to keep going.... but would want to do it in a healthy way..

Have you really looked at the list of foods with high calorie density? you don't need to eat A LOT to get your calories up. you just need to eat the RIGHT foods.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10142490/a-list-of-calorie-dense-foods/p1
  • suzanne6094
    Panini911 wrote: »

Have you really looked at the list of foods with high calorie density? you don't need to eat A LOT to get your calories up. you just need to eat the RIGHT foods.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10142490/a-list-of-calorie-dense-foods/p1

That is something I have not looked into, will give it a go
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,886 Member
    Hello All

Ok so I am pretty sensitive to caffeine, yes, sadly so, don't drink coffee or any form of caffeine during the day (accept one cup of weak tea) and don't miss it.

The problem is I do use one teaspoon of coffee in my Whey Shake before my Jiu Jitsu classes, as it helps me with focus and endurance, it also helps with an appetite after training,

The only downfall is the wired brain. Tick Tock Tick Tock .... We finish training at 20:30.

I have also been slacking on my MFP daily calories count... It such a struggle just trying to eat enough calories in the day to maintain my weight..

Just looking forward to finding a balance so I have lasting energy... to move every day...

As long as you don't get indigestion if you lie down too soon after eating, it's fine to eat after 20:30 PM. How about skipping the coffee and adding something calorie dense like peanut butter?

I used to love PB and banana smoothies, but they are too calorie dense for me, but perhaps perfect for you.
  • Commander_Keen
    Commander_Keen Posts: 1,181 Member
    I am a bit confused as to what you want to accomplish.
    if you are looking for a quick fix on the calorie intake, meaning increasing it,
    Have a protein drink -- They're 130 calories per drink
    carry around Eggs or string cheese.. Eggs are 70 calories, Cheese sticks can be between 80 to 100 calories.
  • suzanne6094
    I eat too little for the amount of exercise I am.doing , goal really is to gain weight and have sustained energy
  • suzanne6094
    I am.adding in shakes now to reach my calories per day for myfitnesspal
  • suzanne6094
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Hello All

As long as you don't get indigestion if you lie down too soon after eating, it's fine to eat after 20:30 PM. How about skipping the coffee and adding something calorie dense like peanut butter?

I used to love PB and banana smoothies, but they are too calorie dense for me, but perhaps perfect for you.

I had a peanut butter sandwich 2 hours before training and a whey shake just before, it seems to have done the trick, I did however put the spoon of coffee in