How to train ab muscles??

What is the BEST WAY to train the ab muscles and make them grow?
I know a low body fat% is required to make the 6 pack show, but what i want to know is what is the best way to make the muscles grow? Currently I perform 3 supersets of about 7 ab exercises. Not all include weights, most of them only use bodyweight. Is performing fewer exercises with more weight more ideal? Do reccommend ab workout routines too if possible.

Replies

• Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,454 Member
    edited May 2019
    Include full body movements that force you to use your core. Squats, deadlifts, lunges, pushups, pullups weighted carries, etc. Concentrate on movements where you body isn't supported by a bench or seat (i.e., barbell/goblet squat vs seated leg press).

For a more direct movement ab rollout variations work well.

https://www.t-nation.com/training/anterior-core-training

Best of luck.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Best or optimal abs growth?
    Eat in a reasonable surplus. Quality protein including adequate EAAs spaced out throughout the day. Slightly more volume in the sweet spot of intensity of a variety of rep schemes with proper load management.

Visible abs?
    Eat in a reasonable deficit while practicing proper load management with slightly more volume and quality protein with EAAs. Either maintaining volume or dropping slightly depending where you get your stimulus from.