What does your nutrition look like

Options
To those who are successfully losing weight... What does your nutrition look like..
Like how many grams of fat, protein, carbs and calories are your goals

Replies

• tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,131 Member
    Options
    Calories are around 2100.

I aim for minimum 100g Protein/80g Fat/25g Fibre and then let carbs fall as they may.

Weight loss is down to a calorie deficit, macros are for meeting nutritional needs and satiety.

What works for me, may not work for you. Using the MFP defaults is a good starting point and then you can tweak as you need to.
  • Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    edited May 2019
    Options
    welcome!

This question will get a ton of varied responses.

Calories in calories out are what matters for weight loss (eating at a calorie deficit regularly over time). And total calories will depend on a person`s stats (height, gender, current rate, rate of loss) and exercise level so near impossible to compare person to person.

The macros (Fat-Protein-Carbs) matter for overall health and feeling full. and what keeps one person full won`t work for someone else. and grams will depend on a person`s total calorie intake.

I eat about 1400 calories a day. I ensure i get at least 80gram of protein daily and that is about the extent i look at my macros. oh i tended towards too low fat so i try to ensure i get a decent for me amount of fat most days.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited May 2019
    Options
    A successful macro fit for one person isn't necessarily successful for a different person, so just set your goal to what feels most comfortable to you.

Me, personally, I currently have my base calories set at 1600 for a loss of slightly under a pound per week. I eat back my activity calories, so my day ends up anywhere between 1600 and 2300 calories, 1800-1900 more often than not. I have a hard target of 80 grams of protein, and a soft target of 100 grams (meaning, I make sure I hit 80 most days but I strive for 100). My target for fat is 50 grams minimum, but I'm not too bothered if I go under sometimes because I'm usually within my fat goal without trying too hard. I don't have a target or a limit for carbs.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    calabazaa_ wrote: »
    To those who are successfully losing weight... What does your nutrition look like..
    Like how many grams of fat, protein, carbs and calories are your goals

It's going to depend on the person (size, what helps you stay in your calories), so I don't know how helpful other people's answers will be, but most of the time I was losing I ate around 1500-1600 cal, and in a 40-30-30 pattern (which at 1500 would be 150 g carbs, 112 g protein, and 50 g fat).

However, I was not much focused on macros beyond keeping my protein above 90 g minimum, and they would vary from day to day. My "nutrition" focus was more based on specific foods being included instead of macros (and fiber to some extent).
  • WholeFoods4Lyfe
    WholeFoods4Lyfe Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
    I follow a Keto diet and mostly eat to satiety. My Macros tend to fall around 60f/30p/10c and my calories between 1200-1600.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,944 Member
    Options
    I've been on this site for over a decade.

I have lost 70+ pounds and kept it (mostly) off, other than 10 pounds or so the first couple winters.

I've always just had my macros set at the default setting of 50C/30F/20P. It used to be 55/30/15, but they changed it. Regardless...I am almost always over on fat and under on carbs. I have to be really mindful to get enough protein, but I do - mostly.

Weight management is about calories. Full stop.

Protein and fats should be minimum goals to hit or exceed during weight loss.

I try to get a good combo of fats, protein and carbs in every feed. Vegetables in every meal.
  • sammidelvecchio
    sammidelvecchio Posts: 791 Member
    Options
    My success is short term, 18 lbs since Feb 23, but this has been working for me. I go over carbs some days, I almost always go over protein and on Saturdays I eat closer to 2000 calories. I also do NOT eat back my exercise calories (in the MFP premium version you can stop the app from automatically increasing your calories based on exercise), and I drink 100+ oz of water every day.

t0h8c7pp7oeo.jpg
  • Ducks47
    Ducks47 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    The only macro I look at is protein because I’m trying to eat more of it. My goal is 70 g. Besides that, I have negative calorie adjustment turned on for my Fitbit zip so sometimes I’ll eat 1450 cal on my more sedentary days and other days I’ll eat 1800 depending on how much I move.
  • kmeyer6979
    kmeyer6979 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I initially lost 30 pounds starting out with s combo of eating better and cutting out the obvious. I tend to be a victim of habit, so I use this to my advantage and eat basically the same thing every day. I also work two jobs so staying busy is key. Lots of water one big meal a day at dinner ground turkey zucchini carrots and small amounts of brown rice measured out and seasoned. Side of grapes. Very filling. Otherwise 3 boiled egg whites for lunch with clif bar as my daily treat and rest of the day is couple of fruits. Apple / orange.
  • HulkV2
    HulkV2 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    1800 calories, 220g protein, 90g fat and 20g carbs. Sedentary life outside of the gym. Weightlifting 5 days a week with 30min of cardio afterwards. Losing roughly 1 to 2 lbs a week
  • biggiwig4483
    biggiwig4483 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Don’t pay attention to macros. Only watch fiber, sugar and sodium for different reasons. Lost weight with 1300 cals and now maintain with 2000 cals.
  • rainbow198
    rainbow198 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    I average around 2500 calories (I'm maintaining and active).

For the most part I eat 2 good sized meals (maybe 1 smaller meal too if I need the calories) over the course of about 6 - 8 hours with no snacking. I try to make my meals balanced as best as I can.

During the week I usually bank some calories for the weekend when I plan for my treats and higher calorie foods like pizza.

Water and unsweetened tea are my drinks of choice. Saves a lot of calories for food, plus I'm used to it now.

I eat lots of fruits and veggies and I don't eat meat.

I do light to moderate cardio daily and strength train 4 days a week. I'm sedentary outside of exercise.

I've lost over 80 pounds and having been maintaining my weight for 6 years. When I was losing weight, I pretty much had the same routine, but I ate meat, my calories were slightly less and I ate more frequently.