Every. Single. Time

This happens every single time I start back with MFP. I do really well at first, eating everything in moderation and logging, and working out regularly. I'll drop weight and all will seem well with the world. But, something in my brain goes "Great! We can go back to the way things were!" and I go back to not counting/logging and the weight piles back on.

This time, I had two huge PR's with running. The first time in 4 years where I've PR'd. And part of that was dropping excess weight and getting faster. But, then over the last month I've slacked off and have regained the majority of what I lost over the last 4 months. I was 155 at my lowest and just weighed today at 164.

I'm frustrated and angry with myself. I look better, run better, and feel better at a lower weight.

I don't know how to make this stick. It's like I really don't want it. Grrrr............

Replies

• MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    edited May 2019
    The good news is that at least some of that gain is probably water weight and not fat. Gaining 9 pounds of fat is possible in a month, but it would take some work (a 1125 calorie surplus over maintenance every single day), so it's likely not what you've done.

We all are prone to complacency. The good news is you've recognized this now so you can get back at it and push yourself to get to it again. I don't have any great words of wisdom for how to make it stick, but realize that a 9 pound gain that is likely made up of a lot of water weight is not as bad as you feel it is, so if you use this as your motivation, you will back to where you were sooner than you think.
  • csilverthorn22
    csilverthorn22 Posts: 32 Member
    I second what Mike has said above. The scale really only tells one portion of the story.
    I've been practiving EFT Tapping with Jessica Ortner's book on weight loss and body confidence , Dawson Church also has a "top dog vs underdog" thing on You Tube - if you haven't ever tried EFT this would be a good time to look into it. its really interesting take on how stress affects weightloss, AND , how to start getting around the self sabotage patterns. I'm finding it helpful as I am soooooo on the same boat as you. (I lost 20 lbs over 3 months, and have eventually over the past couple of years gained it all back.) it happens. If beating yourself up worked though you would lose and keep it all off - we all would... So I often have to remind myself that self cristicism is a bad approach.
  • csilverthorn22
    csilverthorn22 Posts: 32 Member
    how you doing runner mom!?! you ok!?!