Swimming Hair Care advice

ringram1989
ringram1989 Posts: 14 Member
Has anyone got any tips on keeping your hair in good condition when swimming regular? I’m swimming 3 times a week at the moment and the chlorine is killing my hair 🏊‍♀️ :)

Replies

• samtarlyonadiet
    samtarlyonadiet Posts: 917 Member
    I must ask, is this a question for men only, women only or unisex?
  • Evamutt
    Evamutt Posts: 2,312 Member
    besides wearing a bathing cap, my hairdresser told me to completely wet your hair(regular water) use conditioner, rinse. That way your hair will already be saturated & will keep the chlorine water at bay
  • jboan81
    jboan81 Posts: 1 Member
    I also swim three days a week and my hair is color treated. In addition to running my hair under water before I get in the pool and wearing a swim cap, I put coconut oil in my hair. It has worked really well for me.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member
    edited May 2019
    I'm 65 and swim about 3 x a week. I've been swimming for 23 yrs and after my first year of swimming my blonde hair looked and felt like straw. I had to cut it short. A friend of mine, a hairdresser, told me to use linseed or flax oil. It's sold in Italy as "Gocce de Luce". I did that and it helped, but not completely, so I started experimenting. I coat my hair with a thick deep conditioner and put it up in a high bun (I have long hair now), then I put on a cloth swim cap and over that a silicone (rubber) one. I had to use the cloth cap underneath because the silicone one slid all over. My hair is now shoulder length and silky. A hairdresser asked what I was using. When I'm finished with my swim, I shampoo normally, use a conditioner, and while drying use the "Gocce di Luce". Since I swim for an hour or more, my hair is getting a long conditioning treatment 3x a week.
  • ringram1989
    ringram1989 Posts: 14 Member
    Thank you everyone I’ll make sure I deep condition before swimming 😊 the question was aimed at anyone not gender specific. Just looking for tips 🙌🏻