Thoughts on Dumbbell Program

I'm going to begin weightlifting, maintaining a defecit while I get my routine down before bulking. I haven't lifted in years. I have dumbbells and a bench, and plan on lifting every other day to allow for recovery and progressively adding weight.

Essentially, I attempted to design a modified Strong Lifts program to focus on compound workouts. This is only a very rough draft. Any thoughts on additions, subtractions, etc. is appreciated. Thanks!

grwcmb67s2zd.jpg
mfp9361j6a1o.jpg

Replies

• pierinifitness
    pierinifitness Posts: 2,231 Member
    Good thought you gave it. To more closely align with the StrongLifts lifts, did you consider double overhead press and double bent-over Pendlay rows?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M2rwvNhTOu0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fyU6GB4N4QA
  • Scottgriesser
    Scottgriesser Posts: 172 Member
    I'd suggest doing the fly on the ground and not the bench(or not at all). Puts your shoulders in a risky situation.

Check athleanx on YouTube for a more in depth explanation.
  • Keto_Vampire
    Keto_Vampire Posts: 1,670 Member
    Seems a little imbalanced in my opinion...could use more back exercises (weighted pull-ups, chin-ups) & triceps exercises (overhead triceps press/extension, weighted dips). Not sure of your situation equipment-wise if doing weighted movements are practical.
  • Justin_7272
    Justin_7272 Posts: 341 Member
    edited May 2019
    Pier; thank you. Pendlay incorporated over single row. I had shoulder press instead of overhead as it was in the app; also replaced; this will also remove the need for the bench on that day.

Scott; good insight, the flys were auxiliary and I appreciate the risk of injury. I've also always found them uncomfortable. In my case, the risk outweighs the reward at this point, so I'll probably remove them.

KV - I'm limited to dumbbells and a bench. I incorporated the curls and overhead to account for lack of pull ups. I have naturally large lats and traps, but any help can't hurt.
  • kara_tastic
    kara_tastic Posts: 38 Member
    Athleanx is fantastic! My deadlifts are much better thanks to watching him.
    I also no longer do the fly movement. For some I always felt it was not a great move but could never pin point why till I saw his video 😊
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    I don't think 5×5 is going to last long with DBs since your governed by the weight you can use to progress at that rep scheme.

You'd be better off running a program that utilizes DBs or have a coach/trainer that has a template you can run. Something that uses more variations and RPE would be more appropriate.