Healthy Authentic Mexican

Options
Hey guys,

One of my co-workers recommended an authentic Mexican restaurant down the street from the office. I have a feeling he may ask me to join him for lunch tomorrow (not like THAT but we just get along well). I'm a little nervous about what to order. Any suggestions as to what I should get?

Replies

• CookNLift
    CookNLift Posts: 3,660 Member
    Options
    do you have a link to the name of the restaurant or menu?

Get the fajitas, guacamole, or anything asada. As long as you're not getting something stuffed with tons of rice and beans, it's possible to get a low calorie meal. The guacamole will be moderately high in calories, even more so if paired with tortilla chips but has a lot of great taste and few filler ingredients.
  • lady6starlight
    lady6starlight Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    do you have a link to the name of the restaurant or menu?

Get the fajitas, guacamole, or anything asada. As long as you're not getting something stuffed with tons of rice and beans, it's possible to get a low calorie meal. The guacamole will be moderately high in calories, even more so if paired with tortilla chips but has a lot of great taste and few filler ingredients.

I probably should have thought about that, lol! Here you go:

http://www.yelp.com/menu/el-gran-rodeo-new-rochelle

I'm not sure how accurate it is.
  • CookNLift
    CookNLift Posts: 3,660 Member
    Options
    Fajita Salad, Guacamole Salad, Shrimp Salad, Shrimp Fajita Taco Salad (no tortilla / cheese), Pollo Loco, Gran Rodeo without the cheese (small portion on rice/beans),

After looking at the menu, there is nothing authentic mexican about it. I know a bunch of guys from Mexico that I worked with in a kitchen for years, and NONE of that **** looks like the stuff they'd eat aside from a handful of items.

If their chalupas look like this, they're not authentic
    picNTOB9E.jpg

if they look like this, they you're okay
    chalupa-nachos-l.jpg?400:400

Any fajitas will be primarily protein and veggies. the biggest source of calories will be the cheese, tortillas, nachos, queso, sour cream, and rice/beans. so if you do use them go sparingly and opt for a spicy hot sauce instead lol
  • lady6starlight
    lady6starlight Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    haha wow, okay, thanks so much! By authentic I meant not along the lines of Taco Bell and Chevy's lol
  • SierraZulu
    Options
    I'd go for the fajitas. Usually the safest bet!