Calories are frustrating me!

Options
My goal is to lose weight. I am a girl, 158cm, 58kg and my goal is 53-55kg.

So my daily calories are set to 1530 a day. I workout and I burn about 120-160 calories daily. So in altogther I eat about 1400 calories cause I burn 100 from exercise???? I dnt eat this back but now I want to. My activity goal was set to lightly active. This was supposed to include my exercise cals. I realised I’m not eating 1500cals. Now I changed my activity level to not active( the first option). Which is true. On daily basis I’m not active. I don’t think I even get 500 walking steps. Sometimes I do get close to 1000. That’s about it. Now mfp gave me a daily goal of 1380 cals. So now I am gonna add 120 cals from exercise. Which means altogether I eat 1500 calories daily? Is this correct?!

Thank u! x

Replies

• NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you should list yourself as sedentary, and then add calories for your workouts when you do them. (You can save those calories for later though.)
  • Femilaxx1xo
    Femilaxx1xo Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    aes1219 wrote: »
    Do you have a Fitbit or some way to track your steps? You should be getting more steps...

Hey, no I dnt have one. I am University student. I dnt have the money to afford one.
  • Femilaxx1xo
    Options
    I find it hard to believe you don’t achieve 500 steps a day. I live in quite a small house and manage 200 in the morning before leaving the house just doing things like making breakfast, dressing and going to the loo.

Idk tbh.😣
  • Femilaxx1xo
    Options
    It sounds like you should list yourself as sedentary, and then add calories for your workouts when you do them. (You can save those calories for later though.)

Hi, yeah I think so too. That’s what I am gonna do.
  • Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,558 Member
    Options
    Yep, you add your 120 exercise calories to total 1500 calories to eat. Basically the way it is set up is your sedentary (from what you said) + exercise calories.
  • Femilaxx1xo
    Options
    Katmary71 wrote: »
    Yep, you add your 120 exercise calories to total 1500 calories to eat. Basically the way it is set up is your sedentary (from what you said) + exercise calories.

Thanks!!!! Now i understand. So the days I don’t workout, I just eat 1380 cals???! I am a small person, so dnt need a lot of cals.
    The days I do workout I add my cals and eat about 1500 cals?
  • Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,558 Member
    Options
    Right, days you don't workout you eat 1380. It is your base for when you do nothing. Then add your workout calories to it. You may find you can up your calories to eat more if you're losing too quickly. I'm shortish and am on the lower end of calories as well. Good luck!

• KNoceros
    KNoceros Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Do you have a smartphone? Some have a built in step counting feature (on iPhones it’s part of the “health” built in app) and there are plenty of really cheap pedometer apps available (I’m in the uk and by really cheap I mean about £1 which is less than $1.30).
    If you really wanted to track steps you could try that. I think you’d be pleasantly surprised how much you’re doing.

(As a student i walked EVERYWHERE and it was over three miles each way to lectures from my halls!)
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,605 Member
    Options
    Most university students are active. from walking from class to class. and to school. and the library.

I suppose a small city college campus may reduce this to lightly active. Maybe.
  • debrag12
    debrag12 Posts: 1,071 Member
    edited May 2019
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    Most university students are active. from walking from class to class. and to school. and the library.

I'm a student who has classes in the same room all day, no campus walking for me. My uni is also 5 mins from train station and my house 8 mins away the other end.

:p:p
  • Femilaxx1xo
    Options
    Right, days you don't workout you eat 1380. It is your base for when you do nothing. Then add your workout calories to it. You may find you can up your calories to eat more if you're losing too quickly. I'm shortish and am on the lower end of calories as well. Good luck!

Oh alright!!! Thank you x now I think I get it.
  • Femilaxx1xo
    Options
    From other threads you're already losing weight at above the expected rate if I remember rightly?

Why change to eat less? Why not stick at what you were doing for 4-6 weeks and review based on your real world results.

I doubt as a student you are sedentary, how do you get to Uni? Do you not walk around campus? Then there all the incidental steps in between. Use your phone to track steps for a day.

I'd be willing to bet even without intentional exercise you get over 3000 steps per day.

Yes but i wasnt eating enough for my workouts. I get the bus to uni, which is like 10 mins. I am in uni for only 2 hrs. I dnt walk a lot around the campus. After I get the bus and go home. Thank u!!! x
  • Femilaxx1xo
    Options
    Do you have a smartphone? Some have a built in step counting feature (on iPhones it’s part of the “health” built in app) and there are plenty of really cheap pedometer apps available (I’m in the uk and by really cheap I mean about £1 which is less than $1.30).
    If you really wanted to track steps you could try that. I think you’d be pleasantly surprised how much you’re doing.

(As a student i walked EVERYWHERE and it was over three miles each way to lectures from my halls!)

Yes my phone tracks my calories. I burn about 30 cals from walking
  • Femilaxx1xo
    Options

Yeah true. But I don’t walk a lot. cause all my classes are in one room.
  • Femilaxx1xo
    Options
    debrag12 wrote: »

I'm a student who has classes in the same room all day, no campus walking for me. My uni is also 5 mins from train station and my house 8 mins away the other end.

Omgg same!!!!!!
  • Femilaxx1xo
    Options
    debrag12 wrote: »

26 minutes of moderately fast walking is about 2600 steps.
    The sedentary level tops out at approximately 3500.

What probably is, and SHOULD, confound you is that your losses should be very slow and your normal water weight variation is quite likely to be larger than your losses on a weekly and even monthly basis.

You're well within the normal weight range and you're trying to move lower. AND, if you're to be believed, your TDEE is quite low. Thus an appropriate deficit for you would be of the order of 250 Cal a day which would result, under ideal conditions, in a loss in the 0.2kg per week range whereas water weight variations could easily be as large as a couple of kilos (i.e. 10x larger)

Get yourself a trending weight app to have SOME chance of being able to gauge your progress.

Evaluate whether weight loss or some other target such as recomp is a more appropriate goal.

Yes, I’ll try that! Thanks