Hi all I am new and in search of good vegetarian recipes!

Options
My name is Mandy and I am really hoping to shed some pounds before my sister's wedding next summer. I just can't believe how fast all those calories add up and this is an easy way to track them! I am a vegetarian (but not a vegan) and would love swap recipes:-) Good luck to all!

Replies

• dawnsant
    dawnsant Posts: 44
    Options
    Do you eat chicken and fish or no meat at all?
  • ATJune
    ATJune Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    hi...
    this is a website I came across that has vegetarian stuff.. some of the dishes are Indian recipes.... u could give it a try tho...
    http://chefinyou.com/

Good luck!!!
  • msrobinson77
    msrobinson77 Posts: 177
    Options
    No fish or chicken-but I do eat animal products (cheese, butter, eggs, etc.) thanks for sharing-I would love to explore more Indian food-I love spicy flavors, I have just always shied away from cooking it-just intimidated I guess.
  • iambrandice
    iambrandice Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm a vegetarian, too! I've been tracking my food for a while now. Right now I'm visiting my grandma in Hawaii, and luckily she is tracking her food on MF, too! So we've been getting all kinds of salads from restaurants. Usually we eat about a cup of Cheerios or Special K in the morning with skim milk. A good breakfast is important! (They've been telling us that for years...!)

At home, I really like to make meals from a Morning Star Veggie (Chicken) Patty on a lowcal bun, and then have a side of veggies or fruit. I guess I don't try many interesting recipes, but those Morning Star foods are great, if you've never tried them. I also just found out about tofu dogs, which only have like 45 calories per dog! The brand was Smart Dogs, so maybe you could look for those!

Cottage cheese has become one of my favorite snacks, and also carrots or celery. These veggies are good to keep around the house, because I'll eat them instead of the junk food my parents keep in the house! I would recommend keeping your kitchen stocked with plenty of veggies, because they can also be added to any vegetarian recipe from a cookbook.

I'm sorry I can't really give you any recipes, but there are many vegetarian cookbooks out there. I find that it's difficult to utilize these, because they call for strange ingredients that I don't really want to buy for just ONE recipe. I would recommend trying to make your own lettuce wraps from all your favorite veggies, and adding in some beans or hummus for protein. If you don't like beans and hummus now, you'd better start to like them because they are sooooo good for a vegetarian diet! Also, tofu is a good source of protein and it has very few calories, you can use in in basically any recipe. You could put it in a salad or a sandwich or pasta, be creative. Of course I get most of my protein from those fake meats... but anyway, there ya go, I hope I helped give you a few ideas!

Good luck! :)
  • iambrandice
    iambrandice Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    If you add me as a friend, you can check out my food diary if you want. Keep in mind I've been exercizing everyday so I usually have about 200 or 300 extra calories from that.
  • jules1984
    jules1984 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    My favorite site is allrecipes.com. They have a great vegetarian section you can find it here: http://allrecipes.com/Recipes/Everyday-Cooking/Vegetarian/Main.aspx.

Good luck, get plenty of whole grains, fruits, veggies, and beans for protein. :drinker:
  • msrobinson77
    msrobinson77 Posts: 177
    Options
    Thanks ladies for the helpful tips. I'll have to try those veggie dogs- Kashi has a few good veggie frozen meals too:-)
  • dawnsant
    dawnsant Posts: 44
    Options
    Morning Star Farms and Boca both have wed sites that has very yummy things to make. I make things from both of those sites all the time. You can even pick if you want it to be vegan or not.