Went from 99 to 91.4kg from Feb to April
The whole of April and may I was on maintenance so I stayed relatively the same
Now I'm back on it and gonna lose 16kg in 4 months

Motivated!

Replies

• kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    Have you experienced this? Because I've gained muscle through the cut. Kinobody and intermittent fasting changes the game. If youre above 20% body fat it's possible to lose drastic weight and gain muscle by increasing protein to 0.8g protein per pound weight. Results speak for themselves

What did you use to measure body composition to determine that you lost fat and gained muscle mass? And you may want to consider the difference of body fat percentage for males and females when holding 20% as a threshold - below 20% for females is going to require a lot more work than below 20% for males.
  • warrenpillay
    warrenpillay Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Tape, arms shoulders increased, waist decreased

Yeah I wasn't talking about women.
  • pierinifitness
    pierinifitness Posts: 2,231 Member
    Options
    @warrenpillay, be kind and have empathy, other people generally mean well. I do but have my own behavior issues of being rough around the edges.

The scale you mention is notoriously inaccurate so know that.

And with regard to your age, I’ve got lint in my belly button older than you,

Set your fitness, health and wellness bar high and leap over it!
  • warrenpillay
    Options
    @ceiswyn wow nice! I'm glad you aren't one of those people. Sorry about being so harsh

But yeah maybe I won't hit 16kg coz as you get leaner if gets harder.but I'm gonna hit something close, better to set high goals and fall short knowing you gave 100% rather than aiming for something you know you can achieve but knowing you could have squeezed more out.

That's just me
  • nefrusy
    nefrusy Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    @warrenpillay, be kind and have empathy, other people generally mean well. I do but have my own behavior issues of being rough around the edges.

The scale you mention is notoriously inaccurate so know that.

And with regard to your age, I’ve got lint in my belly button older than you,

Set your fitness, health and wellness bar high and leap over it!

I just wanted to add my two cents that it is possible to shed body fat at a really fast pace, at least to start. I hadn't done any serious cardio in years, and didn't watch what I ate... added 25 lbs since college (age 39 now). I decided to make some major changes mid-February, and lost 8 lbs of BF in 4 weeks, then another 7 lbs 4 weeks later. I've been tracking my body composition this whole time, and I haven't been losing any muscle or "other" mass... both have fluctuated around 60 lbs & 66 lbs respectively. I think as long as you lose the weight through both diet and exercise, the majority of weight loss will come from body fat.

Since my initial 15 lbs came off, I have weeks where I get stuck around the same weight, but usually I'm not pushing as hard with the exercise and not paying attention to what I eat. I've only lost 3 lbs in the past month, but I'm making a much more serious push now, similar to your own. We'll see if the weight comes off easily again, or if it'll be a lot more work going forward. I suspect that my current weight is close to "normal" for my body type, so any more weight loss will be harder.

As far as the body fat scale goes, I have one as well that includes a handheld part (so it can gauge upper-body fat as well). It's a lot more accurate than people give it credit for... the only issue is that readings will be different based on some circumstances like current hydration, skin moisture, how much food you have in your digestive tract(?), etc. Yeah, it's a lot of variables, but if you keep things mostly consistent (ex. take measure first thing in morning after shower), there will be a lot less fluctuation in the readings.
  • warrenpillay
    Options
    @nefrusy also well done, lets kill it this time💪
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    @pierinifitness yeah man clearly the people here just want to throw their opinions around but aren't here to motivate others with their own success

I have bought a scale that measures body fat. I will be using that every month to update my progress. Thanks for the support brother. I'm 23 btw.

You should return that scale to the store and get your money back. Bioelectrical impedance, which is what those scales use, is the least reliable method for determining body composition. Too many factors, such as water retention, can throw off the measurements.

I ran 4 double-digit mileage races last year, which include a Ragnar and a 2 day event consisting of a 8k followed by a half marathon, plus a bunch of shorter events. I think I'm doing all right in the success category.
  • nefrusy
    nefrusy Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    @nefrusy bro apparently getting to 8-10% body fat is very hard, I strongly recommend checking out Kinobody because Greg has 100s of guys reaching 7-10% body fat through fasting

Thanks, well done on your weight loss as well. I may have to check out Kinobody if I have trouble getting to my goal. I am currently at 15% body fat, but I am trying to get to that 8-10% so I can have chiseled abs before I turn 40. The last time I was that fit was at age 18, and my body fat was somewhere around 6-8% then (I wasn't paying attention to diet, but worked out almost every day). I don't expect I'll have to get quite that low again... at least I hope not!

The bioelectrical impedance measurement from the scale is fine, if you use it for a rough estimate and don't expect it to be exact. It's still going to fall within a reasonable range close to actual values. The important thing is to look at the trend... is your % body fat trending down? Is your % muscle going up? You wouldn't want to look at the readings multiple times a day, because a reading in the morning could be 14.2% while a reading at night could be 15.1%.

The same thing goes for checking your weight... depending on what you ate/drank, the scale could easily read 2 lbs different from one day to the next, even though it'd take 7000 calories difference for that to actually be fat gain/loss. Instead, that's usually caused by things like water retention (high sodium meals), bowl movements, etc.

Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!