Beach Running

Options
I do my walk/runs on the beach in Isla Verde, Puerto Rico. It’s on the sandy beach and there should be a consideration for running on the beach instead of on flat, smooth ground or street. Any thoughts???

Replies

• shaykinhand
    shaykinhand Posts: 80 Member
    edited May 2019
    Options
    Following this thread :)
    I have had some real pain in the past with what I'm pretty sure was plantar fasciitis (sp?). When playing softball it was terrible. Now that I'm in much better shape I haven't had the issue that much.

But.... last time I jogged on the beach a few years ago, I had the same pain for a few months after so I haven't done it since. I jog on the road/sidewalk now when I go, but I'd love to be able to jog the beach like a lot of people do and not feel the foot pain afterwards.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    edited May 2019
    Options
    Thoughts on running on sand?

You'll adapt to it and get better just like any terrain, climate, distance, etc... you run morrfrequently you train it.

I'm not sure what there is to consider outside of what you would normally other than protection of your feet.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Probably cannot log it specifically here because not enough people do it for the calorie calculations to be put in.
  • pierinifitness
    pierinifitness Posts: 2,231 Member
    Options
    My experience is its more challenging because of stability but you run slower. I’d assume the two cancel each other out. But the breath of fresh and plus scenery is hard to beat.

• DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Options
    I hate running in the sand if for nothing else than the fact that it tends to involve running on a consistent side slope if you run close enough to the water to be on firm sand.

I probably buy the statement that running on sand burns on order of 1.5X the calories of running on a hard surface but I'm guessing that the limitation on distance would offset...whereas I can knock out a 10K on the road with no problem I'd probably be hard pressed to gut out a 5K on sand.

All else equal, give me the road for running and the sand for relaxing. Better yet, a long boardwalk...that's the best of both worlds.