Peanut butter recommendations

Papillon22
Papillon22 Posts: 1,160 Member
Hi!
as a foreigner living in the US, I have just started eating peanut butter. I started this summer when we were on vacation and staying at crappy hotels that didn't offer any protein for breakfast, so I decided to give it a try. I loved the creamy one I tried, but can't remember the brand (single portion package was white). I have now bought Planters creamy peanut butter spread, but I don't like it.

So, I'd like to ask for recommendations. What's your favorite brand? Should I also try the crunchy kind? Thanks!

Replies

• jovalleau
    jovalleau Posts: 127 Member
    As a standalone snack, I prefer crunchy peanut butter.

I've become a big fan of raw oats, so I always mix up raw oats with crunchy peanut butter for an awesome healthy snack. Store brand (Kroger) seems to be good enough for me.
  • crambeary
    crambeary Posts: 2 Member
    I prefer the "natural" types that you stir, no brand preference per say. I try to stay away from high fructose corn syrup and other additives. Trader Joe's makes a great pb, at the moment I am trying something from Peanut Butter & Co. called Smooth Operator. It's pretty yummy.. I always choose smooth pb since I put it in my protein shakes but crunchy is delicious!
  • Ed98043
    Ed98043 Posts: 1,333 Member
    I usually just get Skippy or Jif and that's plenty irresistible enough!

Was this the peanut butter you had?

Screen-shot-2011-09-06-at-3.24.39-PM.png
  • ktlinn4
    ktlinn4 Posts: 38 Member
    As a standalone snack, I prefer crunchy peanut butter.

I've become a big fan of raw oats, so I always mix up raw oats with crunchy peanut butter for an awesome healthy snack. Store brand (Kroger) seems to be good enough for me.

Raw oats & crunchy peanut butter sounds AWESOME!

As a reply to the original question, natural pbs are good, and I recently found "Justin's Honey Almond Butter", and it's fantastic! There are almond chunks in it, but it's nice to have that little crunch on a flatbread! :happy:
  • ktlinn4
    ktlinn4 Posts: 38 Member
    I usually just get Skippy or Jif and that's plenty irresistible enough!

Was this the peanut butter you had?

Screen-shot-2011-09-06-at-3.24.39-PM.png

You posted this while I was typing it! Hahaha...cool.
  • scottaworley
    scottaworley Posts: 871 Member
    I like Jiff.
    I also like PB2
  • As a standalone snack, I prefer crunchy peanut butter.

^ oats + banana + crunchy peaut butter = FAVORITE BREAKFAST EVER

Kroger's crunchy peanut butter (blue jar) is addicting.
    Also, I like Kroger's Simple Truth organic creamy smooth peanut butter. It has a unique flavor and texture compared to other smooth peanut butters I've tried. Pretty good!
  • jen_zz
    jen_zz Posts: 1,011 Member
    I have yet to try PB2, would like to!
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    TRY THEM ALL!!!

My go-to commercial peanut butter is skippy natural...I like both crunchy and creamy.

My favorite "treat" peanut butter is PB&Co White Chocolate Wonderful Peanut Butter

I don't like PB2 at all. I think it tastes like peanut butter flavored dirt.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    I prefer Simply Jif.
  • chell53
    chell53 Posts: 356 Member
    I love all PB.....Natural, Smooth, Crunchy.....

Just bought PB2 and hope I like that as well, maybe will have PB and Banana for breakfast in the morning..... :-))
  • carlapendergrass
    carlapendergrass Posts: 42 Member
    I like stores which have the machines where it is ground fresh. Whole Foods has one, and one of our local chains. Just peanuts - crunchy or smooth. You do have to stir the oil back in, but I don't really find that to be a hardship.
  • JskC1893
    JskC1893 Posts: 156 Member
    smuckers-peanut-butter-4.jpg

This is the one that hotels I have been too have!!

My favorite is Teddie brand, and my favorite variety is the natural super crunchy and the natural crunchy with flax and omega.

I really only like the kinds that are salted!! I really don't like unsalted PB.
  • spoiledpuppies
    spoiledpuppies Posts: 675 Member
    I look for natural. Some that is natural (you have to stir) may still have salt. Some Trader Joe's doesn't have salt and I actually found a cheap option at Cub (maybe like Albertson's?)--Krema brand. I always keep crunchy and creamy around. Love them both!
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    048001159945.detail.1.jpg

This stuff is so good by law they had to shrink the circumference of the jar to keep people from dipping their whole face in
  • scottaworley
    scottaworley Posts: 871 Member
    TRY THEM ALL!!!

My go-to commercial peanut butter is skippy natural...I like both crunchy and creamy.

My favorite "treat" peanut butter is PB&Co White Chocolate Wonderful Peanut Butter

I don't like PB2 at all. I think it tastes like peanut butter flavored dirt.

TBH I've only eaten it in smoothies and oatmeal. I use the real stuff for sandwiches and other things.
    My wife eats the chocolate PB2 basically by the spoonful, though
  • I love Smuckers Natural peanut butter! It contains no added sugar, but it's a little annoying having to stir in the oil when you first open up a new jar.
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    I love Smuckers Natural peanut butter! It contains no added sugar, but it's a little annoying having to stir in the oil when you first open up a new jar.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTWDh--IgQ4bYy1YLTSKDegZXLmBfeIhRxP5UrGlwxP0P0O4OKJ
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,030 Member
    my favs... Trader Joe's Sunflower Nut Butter, Trader Joe's PB with no sodium creamy, or crunchy (nothing added but peanuts) is awesome as well. As someone mentioned I like both types so keep them both around.

I used to buy fresh cashew butter which I loved but got out of the habit of buying. I hear Almond butter is fab but I have yet to try it.

You can also make any of these in your blender of food processor pretty easily... all you need is nuts! Definitely much cheaper than buying if you like natural.

Regarding Justin's... I tried a couple of the packets and enjoyed them all... need to pick it up again sometime!.:love:Screen-shot-2011-09-06-at-3.24.39-PM.png
  • Brad's Organic Peanut Butter <3