Weight loss- deficit is greater than exercise

A calorie deficit is more important than exercise when it comes to weight loss

You can do an hour of cardio every day but not see any change

Why? Because you're over stressing your body and most likely over eating

Always track your deficit and it's not possible to have a problem if you're medically healthy

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,953 Member

Always track your deficit and it's not possible to have a problem if you're medically healthy

If you're tracking your intake, and sticking to your deficit calorie goal, how can you possibly be overeating due to exercise?

It's possible, especially for beginners, to exercise so much that it causes fatigue that makes a person do less in daily life, sit/rest more, maybe sleep more, and burn fewer overall daily calories than they would with moderate exercise that left them with a good energy level. That's counterproductive toweight loss.

But a person who's calorie counting will know if they're overeating.
  • Terytha
    Terytha Posts: 2,097 Member
    An hour of cardio doesn't stress your body. And exercise is for many people an appetite suppressant. I don't want to eat for like two hours after cardio.
  • Larissa_NY
    Larissa_NY Posts: 495 Member
    I'm not sure that you know what the word "deficit" means. Either that or you're just using it in some very strange way.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,249 Member
    Larissa_NY wrote: »
    I'm not sure that you know what the word "deficit" means. Either that or you're just using it in some very strange way.

You're in a caloric deficit when you consume fewer calories than you expend much the same as when a government spends more money than it brings in :D
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    edited May 2019

That will be dependant on many factors. One being if the person is extremely obese. Then the cons of being that overweight "might" be heavier than the pros of exercise. In that situation more extreme measures might be implemented to shed the weight as fast as possible by a doctor.

The ACSM recommends for people to perform resistance training 2-3× a week and to one of the following cardio expenditures.

1. Moderate-intensity cardiorespiratory exercise training for ≥30 min·d on ≥5 d·wk for a total of ≥150 min·wk; or

2. Vigorous-intensity cardiorespiratory exercise training for ≥20 min·d on ≥3 d·wk (≥75 min·wk) or;

3. A combination of moderate- and vigorous-intensity exercise to achieve a total energy expenditure of ≥500-1000 MET·min·wk.

The body is complicated and adapts very well if useful stress is dosed correctly.

Perhaps you meant one should build up useful stress over time?

• Larissa_NY
    Larissa_NY Posts: 495 Member
    Larissa_NY wrote: »

You're in a caloric deficit when you consume fewer calories than you expend much the same as when a government spends more money than it brings in :D

I have no idea what about my post made you think I don't know what a calorie deficit is but cool story bro.
  • Commander_Keen
    Commander_Keen Posts: 1,181 Member
    I am not to sure I agree wit your statement
    If I eat at a maintenance of 2000 and I burn off 500 to 700 calories but I don't eat back the calories, are you suggesting that example is less advantage of just eating deficit ate 500 to 700
  • harrycharming885
    harrycharming885 Posts: 13 Member
    The only thing that will make you lose weight is a calorie deficit - in other words, you need to eat fewer calories than you use each day. The basic idea of a caloric deficit diet is that if you burn more fuel than you put in your body you will lose weight. So exercise is also important for weight loss.