loosing weight and Weight Training need advice or help

Options
I have a personal trainer x3 per week for 30min and its non-stop weights or and cardio for 30mins so approximately use 400 cals? then I put all my food on myfitnesspal and have 1800 cals for that day - but I'm putting weight on not taking it off! so have 3 days training where I'm starving for about 3 hrs after - and 4 days rest in total......any advise would be welcome as I desperately want to loose weight

Replies

• Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    edited May 2019
    Options
    How long have you been eating 1400 and how long have you been exercising?

if the exercise is newish or more intense your muscles may be retaining extra water to repair htemselves which is masking loss/creating a false " gain". but it will flush out eventually.

for hunger, play around with what your eat. you may find you need more carbs, or more protein to feel full.

are you using a food scale for all foods?
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,130 Member
    Options
    813KBlue wrote: »
    I have a personal trainer x3 per week for 30min and its non-stop weights or and cardio for 30mins so approximately use 400 cals? then I put all my food on myfitnesspal and have 1800 cals for that day - but I'm putting weight on not taking it off! so have 3 days training where I'm starving for about 3 hrs after - and 4 days rest in total......any advise would be welcome as I desperately want to loose weight

Are you eating back your exercise calories on those days?

And what @Panini911 said - progressive weight training tends to give you pretty intense DOMS (muscle soreness) in my experience that usually leads to weeks and weeks of water retention.
  • liz0269
    liz0269 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    400 calories for 30 minutes sounds way too high. I used an online calculator and estimate that I burn 330 calories per hour.

A few years ago I tried MFP and gained weight. Now I know it was because I was eating back all of my exercise calories and MFP estimates the calorie burn way too high.

This time around, I am consistently losing weight.
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    Options
    How are you determining that 400-calorie burn? That seems far, far too high for what you're describing.
  • CharlieCharlie007
    CharlieCharlie007 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    reduce all MFP caloric numbers by 35%. Forget the scale, use a tape measure. Scale does not differentiate fat/water/muscle fluctuations.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,049 Member
    Options
    The water weight thing is a real likelihood, but I concur that 400 seems really high. I'd have to machine row continuously at a pace I can't possibly sustain for half hour to burn 400 calories in half an hour ;) , and I'm an experienced, reasonably fit, reasonably decent rower (for a woman my age ;) ).

Body weight matters, but even when obese, an intense 45-minute spin class didn't routinely burn 400 for me.

If the estimate came from a heart rate monitor, be aware that they tend to overestimate calories for strength exercise, and for interval work (the latter especially so in relative exercise beginners).
  • 813KBlue
    813KBlue Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for you replys. I never realized about water retention - I get very sore muscle's as my training is very intense - I used the maths - my weight in pounds x 0.96 gives you cals burn approx.! that's how I found 400 cals burnt - and I'm wacked at the end of my 30mins. Think also I need to look at my diet in depth!
  • Silentpadna
    Silentpadna Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    You can burn up to 400 calories in that short of time, but it depends on a couple of things. Men burn a little more, and if you are already heavy you can burn a little more. When I was in my weight loss phase, 400 calories in a half hour was not out of the question at all - but I did not depend on machines or MFP estimates for that.

Since you've given us very little to go on, my first assumption is water retention for muscle repair.

But, your response above indicates you have a clue. Bear this in mind. The math works. If you think you are eating in deficit and do not see weight loss over time (probably 4-6 weeks of data), then you are not in a deficit.

My recommendation is this: assume the process works (because it does). If it appears to not be working, then something in the process is not being done the way you think it is. Look at the basics.

1. Weigh your food - every bit of it.
    2. Track everything
    3. Make adjustments based on weeks of data, not days.